What happened to my baffle?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

What happened to my baffle?

Post by MikeH1A »

I had been hearing a bit of extra noise coming out of the top right hand pipe on the 750J. So, I pulled the cone and took the baffle out - well, part of the baffle :wth: The outer half to two thirds came out in one piece but then I had to go fishing for the piece you can see in the pic below.

ImageBaffle 1 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/160183095@N04/]

My question: How does this happen when the baffle was in one piece when it went into the muffler. The ends look twisted and sheared off. What forces would make this happen?

Thanks for any thoughts, Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Re: What happened to my baffle?

Post by dorT500 »

Tiny, miniscule cracks maybe formed even as early as the pressing of them at the factory that could go unnoticed by an owner with even a thin layer of carbon.

Add owners using a wooden broomstick to tap them out from the other end.......which is fine, IF they have been out recently and not really stuck bad. That and the natural vibration could cause further cracking.

If you want you can look at a couple of T500 baffles with the cracks I'm talking about in a For Sale thread of mine......I think around June of this year. I'll try and post the link here shortly. seems like a fellow could just burn off the carbon, clean and just braise these little cracks.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Now if I could just find half this stuff. :| To preserve what little sanity I have left, I have stopped looking for now. :?
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by Madbuffalo »

Pulling those pieces of baffle out through your exhaust pipe must have been interesting. :( One of my baffles has a crack in it as well that seems to be in the same location. Each season when I pull the baffle to repack - the crack is a little longer. Could just be exhaust turbulence over the course of 40+ years taking it's toll on the weakest bend... Not good in any case as replacements are getting pricey.
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

I've stopped cracks from getting longer in plastic by drilling a hole at the end of the crack. Should work even better with metal if you want to try that. It's more of a common practice than you might think. Sometimes the crack may actually be just a bit longer than you can see with the naked eye so it's important that you have the edge of the hole at the true very end of the crack or of course the crack would just keep on going on the other side of the hole.

Yep, vibration/metal fatigue..........not a good thing. :( Just ask Mr. Honey :wink: ....from one of my favorite old movies.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eCvwtKPKRY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Thanks for the replies fellas. Interesting to think of the vibrations doing their work over an extended period. I guess as the baffles aren't held in completely snug at the ends, there must be a bit of movement, which would accentuate the vibration's effects.

I've replaced the final 2/3 but think there must still be a little bit inside there. I'll try to retrieve that next time I have the pipes off. At the moment, she just sounds a little louder but still has the burble of the 750.
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A