2 stroke oil weeping up through tach drive

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

smokin_blue
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: www.street-unique.com

2 stroke oil weeping up through tach drive

Post by smokin_blue »

Question for the experts. I have a 1972 T500 that has been pretty well rebuilt. I currently have it sitting with oil in the oil tank and no tach cable on it. I have run it a few times for about 5-10 minutes per time. It is currently sitting waiting for me to have more time to work on it and I noticed I am getting 2 stroke oil weeping up through the tach drive. Is this normal when the tach cable is not on the bike or do I have a seal out in the oil pump that I need to attend to? With the cable in place I don't know if I would have even noticed it.

Any wisdom and guidance is appreciated.
'07 Suzuki SV650
'90 GSX-R1100 streetfighter
LS650 powered custom framed café
'72 T500 with a Lyster frame
'69 T500-parts/project?
'83 GR650-project

Past bikes
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'86 GSX-R750
'74 GT250/T350 custom
'79 GS750
'74 TS250
'81 TS100
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Re: 2 stroke oil weeping up through tach drive

Post by dorT500 »

smokin_blue wrote:............. Is this normal when the tach cable is not on the bike...
It will weep or leak with the cable on or off if the seal is on it's way out.

The aftermarket seal part number for the upper pump seal in the the thread below sounds correct to me but it has been a long time since I bought and installed it. I think I still have the original box it came in and can check later but there may be a number on the top of your original seal, if you can read it and cross that number over at a seal website or local supplier.

Now on the lower seal...there is mention that the clutch push piece seal in the clutch cover is the same as the the lower pump seal but I think that is incorrect.....but not positive at this very moment.

viewtopic.php?p=96970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Now if you want to do the 'whole enchilada' :) , a forum member sells a kit on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-T500-T3 ... SwJV1Z4nTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

EDIT: I just noticed your join date. You are no newbie here. Sorry :oops: .....the seal kit routine is probably old news to you.
smokin_blue
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: www.street-unique.com

Re: 2 stroke oil weeping up through tach drive

Post by smokin_blue »

Thanks for the details. I was kind of thinking that but wasn't 100% sure. Will have to put it on the 'to do' list. I have been lurking more than active since 2013. I have a bit of a custom I am working on but it has been slow and a back burner project. I am working on getting a title right now before I go much further with it.

Thanks for the scoop.
'07 Suzuki SV650
'90 GSX-R1100 streetfighter
LS650 powered custom framed café
'72 T500 with a Lyster frame
'69 T500-parts/project?
'83 GR650-project

Past bikes
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'86 GSX-R750
'74 GT250/T350 custom
'79 GS750