Suzuki GT380 Electronic Ignition (Accent)

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ksluna
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: none

Suzuki GT380 Electronic Ignition (Accent)

Post by ksluna »

Hi all,

I am planning on buying this electronic ignition for my GT380
(http://www.accent-electronic.com/ELZ2Coil.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Does anyone have any experience with the install process? I have never done an electronic ignition before. I've contacted Uwe and read some of the documentation but I'm still a bit confused (perhaps due to language barrier)

Possibly a dumb question, but does the kit come with a button for electronic start? Not sure how it all works..

Thanks
Boise
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380 1974

Re: Suzuki GT380 Electronic Ignition (Accent)

Post by Boise »

No electric start, but you'll never have to file or gap points again.

I have something similar purchased many years ago, so this is likely a good upgrade in electronics since then.

Possibly the most important thing to make sure to not screw up is putting any torque into that nut on the end of the shaft without oppositional torque: The gear that is attached to the other end of the is PLASTIC and will break in a heartbeat. I would hope the instructions in English would include advice on how to swap out the points cam for the reluctor or whatever it is, without hosing the job.

Best of luck. E-ignition is a big improvement on reliability and spark control.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

I have it on my bike. It is very easy to install but the instructions are slightly hard to follow due to poor translation. You have to use a little common sense when you realise that the plugs on the wires are not the same as those shown in the instructions. (the instructions are for a GT750, not a GT380. The only difference is the connectors). The instructions tell you to time the ignition using the centre cylinder mark and an LED on the circuit board. If memory serves, it will tell you to time it according to when the LED goes OUT, in actual fact it means when the light turns ON. Or was it the other way around? Either way, you get the idea. I put it down to translation error.
Once installed and timed correctly, the bike started and re-started quite easily.
The fit and finish of the item was good and the wires were good quality too. I have yet to test mine in anger on the road but I am confident it will do well.
JessC
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550

Post by JessC »

Hi,
I cannot read German.. does this company make a unit to fit my 1975 GT550?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

JessC wrote:Hi,
I cannot read German.. does this company make a unit to fit my 1975 GT550?
Most modern web browsers offer a translate function so text translation shouldn't be a problem - at least that is true of laptops and computer - not sure about phones. For the GT550 you need to email or phone Uwe (the owner of Accent) as they have a special version for that model as it rotates opposite to the GT380 and GT750. His contact info is on the web site. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

oldjapanesebikes wrote: For the GT550 you need to email or phone Uwe (the owner of Accent) as they have a special version for that model as it rotates opposite to the GT380 and GT750. His contact info is on the web site. 8)
Incidentally in my communications with him Uwe he seems to be a very helpful guy.
simonsays74
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT380

Post by simonsays74 »

Can you time the individual cylinders with this kit like the Newtronic Ignition kit CKT-SU6A?

I had a Boyer kit fitted before but it didn’t run great with it.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

I installed the GT550 version on the cafe build.
See: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13106&start=70

The GT380 & GT750 use the same version. The GT550 is different because the points cam rotates in the opposite direction.

Fairly easy to install. The points cam is replaced with a magnetic trigger. As sportston said, the board has an LED light for setting the timing.

Rotate the motor with the kick starter & watch the red LED light. Will be easy to figure out exactly how to use it to set the timing.

I have the Newtronic kit installed on GT750s. Its more work because you have to mount an external controller box, and set timing for each cylinder.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE