carb adjustments

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Odin
On the main road

carb adjustments

Post by Odin »

ok so every things back together and running well, now I would like to set the carb's up properly.
the bike idles well and the carbs are sync'ed my problem is this,
how am I supposed to do a plug chop? I can't pull the clutch turn the key and hold the throttle open at the same time ( unless I grow a third arm :P )
and locally I can't get the bike to 4th 5th gear and ride long enough to do it (live in the city)
does the bike have to be in gear and pulling load?
can I just leave it in neutral on the center stand and open up the throttle then kill the motor?
any help is appreciated thanks.
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)

"Even if the voices in my head aren't real, They have some pretty good ideas"
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

The motor has to be under load and pulling hard. The motor has to be up to operating temperature at that load level which is usually about 1/4 mile or more WFO.

The trick is to flip the kill switch as you pull the clutch in and as you close the throttle. That assumes you have a kill switch on the bars.

Revving it up on the stand doesn't get the bike under load and it's not hot enough. The plug must be up to peak temperature and that takes time and load.

An easier way is to measure time from say 40 to 60 (or 60 to 90) in top gear at WFO. Start rich and go down one jet size at a time until the time stops decresaing and then go back up two steps on the mains so it is a smidge rich. Check the plugs each time to confirm what is happening.

Throttle must be wide open though. if it's partially closed the results tell you more about needle and jet

You need a very quiet road with no traffic where its safe to measure elapsed times - and no cops or neighbors to complain.
parksie
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki t500 69,71,73, Gt500 76

Post by parksie »

Thats OK if you have a kill switch
1969 T500
1973 T500
1971 T500 (being restored)
1976 GT500 (being restored)
2012 Ninja 650
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Can be done easily on a dyno, but dyno time is costly.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Odin
On the main road

Post by Odin »

No kill switch and the closest dino to me is in Vancouver (off the island) so that's ever more costly.
any other options?
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)

H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

How about rigging up a temporary kill switch ?? Aftermarket switches are only $8-$10 at your local small dealer....or maybe even cheaper at your local wreckers. Wire it in series with the main hot wire to your coils. There should be a double female bullet connector coming from the key to single male bullets, one to each coil. With some low rent standard bullet connectors you should be able to rig up something quite easily/cheaply.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
Odin
On the main road

Post by Odin »

will look into that thanks for the idea Rick.
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I should perhaps have made myself a little clearer. If you do the timed run from X mph to Y mph, you don't need a plug chop and you don't need a lot of expensive instrumentation. Just a stop watch on the bars where you can get to it.

Stop. Record the time and look at the plugs. they will be close enough to tell if they are miles off. That way you use the times to tell you what the motor needs rather than trying to read plugs
Odin
On the main road

Post by Odin »

Well here's where it stands, after yet another dismantle of the carbs and another cleaning, reset the float height and reassemble, this is what i dicovered. The left carb won't bottom out if i turn the air screw all the way in also it doesn't get as hot as the right side, which leads me to beleive this is why the left always looks rich its just not as hot.

what would cause one side to not bottom out yet not run as hot as the other side?
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I'm confused by that last post.

The air screw adjusts the amount of air allowed to pass the pilot jet. Screwing it all the way in makes it rich (less air)

Slide adjustment is usually a screw on the side of the carb which when it's screwed in raises the slide and screw it out to allow the slide to drop.

Sometimes a cable is adjusted at the top of the carb so that there's insufficient slack and the slide cannot drop fully.

Which screw did you adjust - the air screw or the idle speed (slide) screw?
Odin
On the main road

Post by Odin »

both.
my bike is a T200 and the idle screw is actually at the top of the carb next to the cable.
according to the manual I have it says that if I turn the air screw (on the side of the carb) all the way in the cylinder will choke it's self out, then back the screw out 1 1/2 turns.

so I've done that, and on the left it bottoms/chokes out, then I back the screw out 1 1/2 turns.
on the right when I do it she keeps on running.

checked both cables and there is slack. the throttle valve's are synced and rise at the same time when I twist the thottle. also from wide open the valve's drop at the same time.

what symptoms would a bad neoprene seal on the starter plunger cause?
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)

Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

A bad seal on the choke plunger will cause the choke circuit on that carb to partially operate. If the spring is weak the same thing will happen, so make sure the seals on the base of those plungers are good and the springs are nice and strong.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

A bad seal on the choke plunger will cause the choke circuit on that carb to partially operate.
To clarify Allan's comment a little: This means that that particular cylinder will run rich at idle thus fouling the plug when the engine is hot. This condition will also add a little fuel to the mix at part throttle.
Your problem with the one slide not dropping down properly has me perplexed. Maybe a bent idle adjusting rod ?? Or maybe the rod is from another carb of some sort and is too short ??
on the right when I do it she keeps on running.
You are definitely getting fuel and/or air at idle if this is the case. Start checking for air leaks. Check that starter plunger.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
Odin
On the main road

Post by Odin »

Thanks for clarifying that Rick. I will check the starter plunger first.
(after work tonight) and let you guy's know.

without a kill switch I've been adjusting by ride and feel, I know I'm close cause she preforms better then ever. I pulled the carbs to increase the main jet size cause at a steady speed the engine surges. (this was after raising the needle).
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)

Odin
On the main road

Post by Odin »

It was the plunger!
now both plugs have a tan color.
now on Wednesday when I have the chance to ride I'll see if the larger main jet solved the surging engine when I try to maintain a constant speed.

thanks again guy's I will keep you posted.
T200 (full restoration)
CL450 (on the go now)
T350 (sort of started)