pod filters on T500M?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jimbow
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 t500, '76 gt185, '70 t200

Re: pod filters on T500M?

Post by jimbow »

I don't have the original rear shocks. I like the shrouds but will have to manage without.
I'm not seeing where the tool bag is supposed to locate - got a pic?
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

The small tool bag goes here...

Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

She's a good-looker and no mistake. Glad you got it sorted.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
jimbow
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 t500, '76 gt185, '70 t200

Post by jimbow »

That tool bag part is missing on mine. Wonder if obtainable?
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

jimbow wrote:That tool bag part is missing on mine. Wonder if obtainable?
Pretty rare, but they do pop up on ebay from time to time. Usually sold separately from the battery box but sometimes with the box. You'll will find the battery boxes themselves without the 'door' are all over the place but here is one type of tool bag holder in the ebay listing below. If I was making an offer on it, I would ask the seller for couple of better pics of tool holder and ask if would be willing to sell the holder only.........the box is toast. Doesn't hurt to ask.....sometimes. :wink:

Then there is the shipping from U.S. and other fees incurred on your side of the big pond?

Note that this particular holder does not have a spot welded extension tab at the bottom to better secure a bag of tools. Early version....different model?........ they were made that way from the factory.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Suzuki-T5 ... .l4275.c10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

You might also contact this ebay seller to see if he has the one you would want......he invites requests for parts. A very reputable fellow... https://www.ebay.com/usr/skully2strokes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

The picture I posted is a spare battery box I was selling but had recently decided not to sell it after all (right at 500 views and no takers anyway) and I'm still not sure if I want to part with the tool holder even if it does not have the extra support extension. The black one in the post below is the one on my bike now.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

What is holding your battery in....one of these or something homemade?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-T500-GT ... itleDesc=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Here is the tool bag I carry on my T500. :wink:

Image Image

in this.... :wink:

1980's trunk I bought brand new still in the original box on ebay several months ago.
Image Image
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

Just stumbled across this old thread while poking around the net....

viewtopic.php?p=111008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

dorT500 wrote: I'll call them next week and see if they can confirm no problems with previous customers on the fitment.....
Sounds like you are correct ConnerVT :up: ..........

I called them a couple of times last week but no answer. Figured they would like contact through email better so I emailed them yesterday about the boot fitting later models.

Copied and pasted text reply from them....

claussstudios@aol.com

10:17 AM (7 hours ago)

to me
hi yes the early boot works for both,, the later boot looks a little different but the part is not really seen so ...

if you get it and it is not going to work for you we take returns so you win either way ! thanks Greg Clauss

hhmmm...I'm not quite sure what he means about the later boot..... by the part that is not really seen....inside tubes or the neck?

Anyway, the plan was to buy an air box boot before I bought anything else.......didn't happen :| ....I bought a true NOS T500 gear shifting shaft (you don't see one of those for sale everyday!) very recently to have and to hold, a NOS turn signal housing and stem and some other parts ordered from a Suzuki dealership. This damn T500 'dresses' better than I do :) ....I've really spoiling it this past year. Air box boot, front peg rubber and fuel tank pad from Clauss will have to wait until next month.....maybe. :roll: :)
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

dorT500 wrote:Sounds like you are correct ConnerVT :up: ..........
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

dorT500 wrote:......hhmmm...I'm not quite sure what he means about the later boot..... by the part that is not really seen....inside tubes or the neck?.....
Well heck, I am slow on the uptake sometimes. :oops: I started thinking some more about what could be different that you can't see from the outside of the boot. Tubes like I first thought but dismissed at the time? Later I looked at the picture of the reproduction boot again, paying more attention to the inside of it this time and could tell it did not have the twin......I'll call them velocity tubes.....that the later T/GT500's had.....to be used on the newly designed smaller rectangular air box with a dual filter element. Surely Suzuki installed those tubes for a reason when they re-designed the large air box to smaller rectangular dual filter element box. Carburetor pulse resonance, turbulent flow factors changing with new air box design, thus the tubes? I dunno. I'm no carb expert by any means. Anybody want to leave some feedback, feel free to do so but the tubed kind are all I've ever used on my '75 T500 over the last 25 years and I never have to chase any carb or jetting issues.

So, for me, it's either buy another one from Suzuki that I know will give me problems well within a years time or buy the one from Cluass Studios and add some tubes, maybe from an old boot and if it is overall, the same size.

Early style. If you look closely at this one inside or others on the net....no tubes.
ImageImage

Pic from Ian's site.... Thank you Sir

Pics just from a ebay listing. Later boot.

:arrow: Edit: I just got an email reply back from Clauss. He says Yes, the tubes missing in the early version he sells are the only difference.
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

My solution as follows:
(My airbox rubber was in pretty good shape, not hard, but it was a *astard to fit, and wouldn't stay fitted, I think with age it had distorted a bit).

Loosen carb to cylinder rubbers so the carbs can move around a bit but remain fitted and therefore aligned.
Remove the airbox, - just one screw, and the big rubber circlip.
With the airbox off it's MUCH easier to get the rubber onto the carbs.
Use a heatgun to heat the rubber and 'relax' it to the fit the carb 'mouths'.
Fit and nip up the 2 circlips, let it cool.
Now mount the airbox loosely.
Warm the rubber now all around the big opening.
Should be easy to fit the rubber to the airbox now, (but don't have the big circlip in place yet - makes it too hard to fit).
When it's snug, feed the circlip on and tighten everything.

Warming the rubber helps it re-conform to the original shape.
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

the old one was rock hard,so relented and bought a new one.
put the new carb rubbers on but could I hell get the bolt bracket lined up to the frame mount.A friend popped round and gave a hand. god know why it wouldn't lined up. if I remember rightly when I 1st took it off it sprung away from the frame mount.the extension that I made on the air box thought this might be the problem so I cut it down ,still no joy.couldn't see anything in the way.the only thing I did notice is that the intake rubbers on the engine to carb were hard as- just no give at all.what,also I did notice though is that if the clamps on the carb rubber isn't on straight this will distort the rubber mouth,took it off that how I know.this could explain why these buggers wont fit once they go hard.make sure your clamps are on straight.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership