GT750 Cost of repair for crank seal replacement

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

GTrida4life
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 73 GT750, 75 GT750, HD Road Glide

GT750 Cost of repair for crank seal replacement

Post by GTrida4life »

Hello 2-stroke family. I am in need of a crank rebuild in my 73 GT750 and would like to know how much to budget for the repairs. In your estimates please include the cost of a reputable crank rebuilder, gaskets and labor for splitting cases. I live in Mid-TN and willing to travel a few miles for seasoned mechanic that can be trusted to make needed repairs at a reasonable price. Thanks for your help.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: GT750 Cost of repair for crank seal replacement

Post by sportston »

GTrida4life wrote:Hello 2-stroke family. I am in need of a crank rebuild in my 73 GT750 and would like to know how much to budget for the repairs. In your estimates please include the cost of a reputable crank rebuilder, gaskets and labor for splitting cases. I live in Mid-TN and willing to travel a few miles for seasoned mechanic that can be trusted to make needed repairs at a reasonable price. Thanks for your help.
Think of a sensible figure and double it. If you remove the engine yourself, in the UK it might cost you within the region of £1000 or more depending upon what other things need replacing/doing at the same time. It can be done cheaper, but it is not worth getting rubbish parts.
Good quality gaskets, bearings and seals are important. Get the crank balanced, while you are at it, also skim the head, replace all the other oil and water seals. Don't skimp to save $50 only to find that the part you overlooked has failed and you have to spend hours at the side of the road waiting for recovery then hours of labour to replace it.
While you are doing the crank, consider the condition of the pistons and bores. Is it time for a rebore? Unless recently done, at least give it a hone and fresh rings.
Next question: how good are the bearings in the gearbox? At least check them while you have the casings apart. It is worth spending an extra 20 minutes checking.
Good luck.
GTrida4life
Around the block

Post by GTrida4life »

Can any motorcycle mechanic work on a 2-stroke or should I just seek mechanics with GT experience?
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

What evidence is telling you that you need new crank seals?

Anyway, most dealerships and average motorcycle shops won't touch these old machines for a myriad of reasons. For one, they may not have anyone with years of experience on them or they realize there are old, aged parts....nylon, plastic, rubber that might get broken just getting into preliminaries of disassembly....parts that may not longer be available....parts that they do not want to be responsible for replacing. Old tired threads in aluminum, frozen connections....more problems just not worth them dealing with and don't want to risk anymore consumer problems than they have to.

Like most successful businesses strive for, a 'keeping it simple and fast' policy is shared among motorcycle dealerships also.

Short of getting some referrals from other members here, I suppose you could wander in the back way of a service department at a Suzuki dealership near you and look for the oldest mechanic you can find back there :wink: and see if he might be interested in doing it for you 'on the side' or maybe he will know someone that could help. Maybe even just ask at the service counter or parts department if they know of any shops that may take on the job. Check the for sale/want to buy classifieds of local and neighborhood papers for listings 'looking to buy 60's and 70's Japanese motorcycles'. These ads could be listed by old mechanics and/or motorcycle salvage yards that could help you or direct you.

Personally, I would be leery about having any work done at a 'shop' that is actually part of a salvage yard. I'd be nervous about a few parts 'switch-er-oos' :roll:

I'd say the AVERAGE hourly shop rate around here is probably $80.00 an hour. Very small, independent shops would be just a little less. I won't venture a guess on how many hours it would take a professional to do the work you want but I think you would want to call Bill Bune Enterprises in Anoka, Minnesota as far as rebuilding the crankshaft is concerned and get a labor price and maybe parts price if he has them in stock.

Many Sundial members here have shipped crankshafts to them over the years, including myself (T500) and not too long ago, they did cylinder boring for me and supplied Wiseco piston kits (they usually keep in stock) I bought from them. Along with a discounted price, it of course was convenient since they already had the kits in stock. Most shops will just farm out the crankshaft work to someone anyway, so you might as well ship it to a very reputable business like Bill Bune Enterprises.

Good Luck
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Bune did a GT750 crank for me a few years ago. I provided the new seals. I think it was around $300 for the work.
Paul Miller has crank seal sets listed on eBay for $95.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GT750-n ... 2114068041

Are there any vintage bike events in your area? You might find some good leads at one of those events.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
GTrida4life
Around the block

Post by GTrida4life »

Thanks family for the advice and suggestions.