Thinking about buying a GT380. Had a couple of questions.

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ksluna
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: none

Re: Thinking about buying a GT380. Had a couple of questions

Post by ksluna »

Zunspec4 wrote:Hi ksluna,

Others might have a different view point but you are not going to experience the handling you are used to with a modern bike, especially on the track. Like all bikes of their era you will dragging the pipes around every corner with modern sticky tyres. Also they all have relatively small Dia. forks with simple damping, brakes that need a fair bit of effort, upgraded rear suspension (even Hagons) can only do so much. I still think one of the RD series would tick the boxes for you. At least a generation of additional development, reed valve induction, power exhaust valves on the YPVS etc.

Cheers Geoff
Ah that is a bummer to hear to be honest. Future plans would be to swap out the forks for more modern suspension and try and convert the rear brakes to discs as well.

Guess maybe the GT380 and me were not meant to be.

This was the GT380 I was considering buying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJKLw-nsis0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's from a builder I've been following for the past couple years and does great work.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Well, that one is not exactly stock in any way shape or form. We were imagining somethong closer to stock and less rebuilt. That is none of the above - and not necessarily in a bad way.

Not a bad looking bike, but I'd want to work out the rake and trail before I rode it. He raised the rear 1.5" and dropped the front 2.0", which will reduce both rake and trail and will tend to make it less stable at speed. The rake is less of an issue, but I'd want to know the new trail number. Not wild about the rear frame tubes being moved and on the web site it shows it fitted with those crappy firestone POS tires. Hope those are gone.

And it needs a fork brace or at least a metal fender to keep the front forks from twisting.

If it was ported and matched to the new pipes it would be way different to a stock bike and could be worth a second look if the price is right.

It seems quite perky in that video.

If that seat was made by the seller, he does nice metalwork.
ksluna
On the street

Post by ksluna »

tz375 wrote:Well, that one is not exactly stock in any way shape or form. We were imagining somethong closer to stock and less rebuilt. That is none of the above - and not necessarily in a bad way.

Not a bad looking bike, but I'd want to work out the rake and trail before I rode it. He raised the rear 1.5" and dropped the front 2.0", which will reduce both rake and trail and will tend to make it less stable at speed. The rake is less of an issue, but I'd want to know the new trail number. Not wild about the rear frame tubes being moved and on the web site it shows it fitted with those crappy firestone POS tires. Hope those are gone.

And it needs a fork brace or at least a metal fender to keep the front forks from twisting.

If it was ported and matched to the new pipes it would be way different to a stock bike and could be worth a second look if the price is right.

It seems quite perky in that video.

If that seat was made by the seller, he does nice metalwork.
Haha yeah it's pretty far from stock. Thanks for the points of consideration. I will look into the rake and trail.

He was featured down in Austin at the hand build motorcycle show. Reason why I'm a fan of his is he's a no BS builder. Doesn't charge 20,000 for a bike, and he focuses on function over form. Those seats are all hand built by him.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Link to his website that points to his metalworking: http://www.cafecyclesri.com/HandFormedMetal.html

Am no expert, but don’t those huge tires slow down handling? Might offset his rake & trail mods?

Those pipes are sweet.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Haha, yes somewhat different to the std. machine I was imagining :D. A nice looking machine in the style of the currently popular "hipster" theme. However unless the builder's skill also includes handling development and engine development I would certainly be looking for a test ride before parting with any cash. I guess I am rather conservative in that I would go for something that is "known" to work, as nice as the GT380 is it was never known as a tarmac ripper.

Cheers Geoff
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Looks like a very nice little road bike with its own unique character.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Very nice-looking bike in that video, it would be fun for Sunday blasts etc.

But even a tuned 380 will not be comfortable at 80+mph for long periods: that's at the top end of their performance envelope. They'll cruise happily at 70mph but beyond that, the windblast gets uncomfortable and the period 70s brakes become an issue.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

You mentioned track days. Its worth considering vintage bikes that are currently used for vintage racing. I don’t follow vintage racing so I’m not a good source for a list of options. But some forum members race T500s.

If you end up with a Suzuki two stroke with a front disk brake, then its an easy upgrade to a much better twin-piston front brake.

It might be worth backing up the thought process a bit and asking yourself if you are better served with a vintage bike from the 1970s or 1980s.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

Based on what I've read about your 2S bike expectations, I would recommend a 1984-85 Yamaha RZ350. I love mine and it will do everything you are wanting. No offense to Suzuki fans here (I am one too)! :lol:
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
ksluna
On the street

Post by ksluna »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've never ridden a vintage bike, let alone a 2T one. I thought it would be fun and came close to buying it, but I don't think I will pull the trigger :(

I live in the DFW and while I don't intend on touring on this bike, I do have to be comfortable on the high way often (although not too long of highway trips) and also I was expecting to take it to the track and have some fun. I thought with updated suspension and maybe a fork swap with a modern GXSR would do this, but it looks like I'm probably asking too much out of a 50 year old bike haha.

I will say though, for a forum that revolves around old bikes, I'm very impressed with the activity and members here. Makes me want to just get it for the community!
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Evans Ward wrote:Based on what I've read about your 2S bike expectations, I would recommend a 1984-85 Yamaha RZ350. I love mine and it will do everything you are wanting. No offense to Suzuki fans here (I am one too)! :lol:
What? A Yamaha!! How dare you sir! Is the RZ the same as an RD? Had one of those. A good choice. Great fun
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

sportston wrote:
Evans Ward wrote:Based on what I've read about your 2S bike expectations, I would recommend a 1984-85 Yamaha RZ350. I love mine and it will do everything you are wanting. No offense to Suzuki fans here (I am one too)! :lol:
What? A Yamaha!! How dare you sir! Is the RZ the same as an RD? Had one of those. A good choice. Great fun
The RZ is the YPVS (power valve) model which I believe was called the RD400YPVS in other parts of the world. Reed valued, water cooled, 6 speed, monshock, with triple disc brakes stock. Add some front suspension upgrades as well as a better rear monoshock and you have an even better bike. I did all of that to mine: race tech linear springs with Gold valve emulator and R6 rear shocks along with modern R1 calipers/ rotors with FZ7 master cylinder. Here's a pic of my 84 RZ350 Kenny Roberts Replica. Chambers have since been changed from Spec IIs to old school Toomey's. I also added the original rare solo seat cowl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

I'd ride that.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

That's a sweet power valve (as we call them in the UK). An RD/RZ350 is lovely, but you can have the best of both Suzuki and Yamaha: the superlight frame and running gear of Suzuki's RG250, with the punch of the YPVS motor.

YamaGamma, anyone?

1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Both sweet looking bikes. Mine was an RD350 YPVS with a nice pair of microns. It was a pile of s**t but enormous fun to ride so long as you didn't want to go round bends or stop in a hurry. Wish I had kept it and fixed the brakes, the handling etc. but I was broke.