muffler oil seal dimensions or alt seal? t500 stock exhaust

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

m in sc
On the main road

muffler oil seal dimensions or alt seal? t500 stock exhaust

Post by m in sc »

is there a bit more cost effective oil seal/muffler seal replacment for the muffler seal on the t-500s? or does anybody have the dimensions? i searched and didnt find anything. or just the dimensions. thanks.
a piston crown is no place for a sunroof
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Re: muffler oil seal dimensions or alt seal? t500 stock exha

Post by dorT500 »

m in sc wrote:is there a bit more cost effective oil seal/muffler seal replacement for the muffler seal on the t-500s? or does anybody have the dimensions? i searched and didnt find anything. or just the dimensions. thanks.
I take it you don't like the idea of paying $18.00 to $25.00 USD each for them.....me either. :wth: I have not used them for a few years now. Years ago I did start a little quest to find a suitable generic seal....heck....it amounts to nothing but a big oil seal....and I don't need it to be blue. :roll: I got sidetracked onto other things at the time but if I remember correctly, I was getting very close to finding one with the same I.D and O.D.

I don't remember the exact measurements of the stock seal and as you know it's not just a matter of measuring the I.D. of the muffler flange bore/pocket and the O.D. of the exhaust header/downpipe to get the seal measurements....ideally, there would be a certain +/- 'interference' tolerance you would want for a tight but not too tight fit of the rubber coated seal.

I might buy a single seal from Suzuki to measure but I think I have a used one that is in good enough shape to measure...just not sure right now. I've been meaning to look into searching for a generic substitute again. I'll post any positive results here if I find something.

This is what I do in lieu of the seals. I ride almost everyday of the year and this usually lasts me a few months. I'm sure if not ridden everyday the seal would last much longer and in that case the OEM seal price might be justifiable but it just seems that I remember even when I was using the stock seals, that they did not last as long as I thought they should.

This pic of my rightside muffler still has what was left of the rubber coated OEM seal less the rubber face of the seal. After cleaning, I just sealed over it. The other muffler seal is completely removed, for the better probably......a deeper 'pocket' for a little thicker bead of sealant.

All sealing area NEEDS TO BE CLEANED VERY WELL with Acetone. I then use Permatex High Temp RTV Gasket Maker for a nice thick bead. Nicely smooth out and wipe off any excess on surrounding area. Wait a full 24 hours for sealant to cure per manufacturers instructions before starting engine.

Not blue but works for me. :wink:

For those not familiar with the T500 muffler connector seal.....

johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Re: muffler oil seal dimensions or alt seal? t500 stock exha

Post by johnakay »

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership