Question about t500 steering damper knob

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Question about t500 steering damper knob

Post by sbaugz »

I’ve got a cafe racer t500. Many of you have seen it in the custom section.
I was looking to elevate my build one step further and replace the black plastic steering damper knob with something more unique. Has anyone done this? Does the stock black plastic knob simply unscrew from the metal rod that controls the damper? Does anyone know the thread and pitch of the knob that I would need?
m in sc
On the main road

Re: Question about t500 steering damper knob

Post by m in sc »

no, its cast around the rod. get some 6mm rod, die the thread on the end at m6x1 about 1.5" long. you going to machine an aluminum knob? i did that on a cb450 i had years ago
a piston crown is no place for a sunroof
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

m in sc wrote:no, its cast around the rod. get some 6mm rod, die the thread on the end at m6x1 about 1.5" long. you going to machine an aluminum knob? i did that on a cb450 i had years ago
OK, I can manage getting the new rod and threading the end. I don't have any machining tools, so I guess I will be on the lookout for a knob that matches my specs.
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

sbaugz wrote:..........I was looking to elevate my build one step further and replace the black plastic steering damper knob with something more unique.....

8)
ImageImageImage

I see what you mean.....that old knob does look a little out of place with the rest of your machine.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Lots of options if you Google “knob M6 thread”.
Like this one: http://www.rgstech.co.uk/categories/bal ... -star-knob
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

well, I just ordered a new "knob" for my steering damper. Instead of going with the traditional knob in metal, I happened to find a cool place that sells literally hundreds of different kinds of shifter knobs. The one I ordered is about 1.75" diameter (so its smaller than the stock T500 black plastic one). Its a round ball in metal flake green. It looks like it will match my green paint perfectly. Hopefully I like it. If not, I can always send back..

I was able to select that I wanted M6-1.00 thread adaptor for the ball. Now I will source some M6 stainless rod, put some threads in it, and install on bike. Pics will be posted once I am done,.

titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Take the whole lot off and bin it. Not needed once you have taken off the wide rubber mounted bars. Not had a damper on mine for years without any issues.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

sbaugz wrote:Hopefully I like it. If not, I can always send back.................... Pics will be posted once I am done.
I guess the suggestion box has been removed :) but if you don't wind up liking the gear shift knob but you want to keep the original damper system.......I had been thinking you were trying to keep that original steering damper set up as close as possible, just with a new look. I was thinking along the lines of a dome or dome type 'knob' (even as far as gutting/cutting a small piston like above)....something where you could keep the adjustment stopper if you are going to keep the original steering damper set up....though I suppose an appropriate compression spring set up under that gear shift knob you ordered might hold the desired setting......maybe.

ImageImage

Yes, I have some spare time on my hands lately and am a little bored. :roll:

Billet aluminum fuel filler caps. You could even lightly grind some 'stop dimples' on the inside wall like the original knob has for the damper adjuster stop (shown above) and some of these caps are the same diameter as the original knob. Just weld threaded rod to threaded coupling (or use appropriate Loc Tite) and weld 3/4" long aluminum threaded coupling to inside center of cap.

ImageImageImageImage

Image Image

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253575492234?V ... 3575492234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... /prd88.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/2-bill ... gIN3vD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"