New member Intro

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jojob
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GSXR 750 1976 GT500

Re: New member Intro

Post by jojob »

So I have heard the diesel will help clean it up. But what do I do with all the diesel in there? Do I just turn the crank over a bunch to mix it around then, just pour it out in a few days?
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

I did the diesel trick in my t500 last year,I filled the crankcase and spun the crank a few times a day, after a week I dumped it out and refilled and repeated, I did this several times. You may want to flush several times at the beginning to try to get as much of the crud out as possible.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
jojob
On the street

Post by jojob »

ok, sounds like a plan. I will do that for a while, and see how it turns out. Thanks so much
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

Well, if you can't be talked out of not taking the engine apart :( Image

then you might check and see if the crankchamber has drain bolts. Might help a little on the flushing. :| My '75 T500 does and your GT500 might. I have not seen them on all T500's.

Good Luck

Random pics off ebay...
ImageImage
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

dorT500 wrote:Well, if you can't be talked out of not taking the engine apart :( Image
Well if your engine looks anything like the above, I'd say it is definitely not a good idea put the top end back together with a fresh set of gaskets hoping the bottom end will be ok. Having said that, I have once done it on a Dolphin 2-stroke boat engine (The customer/friend insisted against my recommendation). I removed and cleaned the pistons, stuck a new set of rings on and honed the bores by hand. It was a very rough and ready bodge job, that I was quite ashamed of. Amazingly, it went on for a few years before salt water rusted the pistons in the bore again.
jojob
On the street

Post by jojob »

Yes that is what the engine looks like. The crank and everything moves fine. There is no rust on the crank, or scarring on the pistons or anything. It just have the milky oil on one side and rusty looking oil on the other side. I have been able to get rid of a lot of the oil in the crankcase. Right now, I have it soaking in diesel. I turned crank a couple of times before I left town for the weekend, and it was looking a lot cleaner that it was before. It would get spark and everything before, but when I put the plugs into the cylinders, it would only spit out the liquid when I went to kick start it. Basically soaking the plugs. So I am hoping that once I get it cleaned and dry, that It will spark with plugs in. I would break the cases apart, but I am just afraid that it may be beyond my knowledge to put it back.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Do the diesel trick more than once and just turn the engine upside down for a day to get it all out. Run some 2 stroke oil down the conrods into the big ends and squirt some onto the small ends too. Oil the main bearings and also the bores. You'll need the air filter(s) off so you can get to tbe carbs, then with petrol with some oil in, in the cleaned out carbs, use a squirt of easy start in each. You may need the occasional extra squirt to keep it running until the smoke clears! And there will be a LOT of smoke!!! Don't rev too much until it settles down.
I used a grade hotter plugs when I did both my 550s. 3000miles on the first and 2000 so far on the second.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Don't forget it only takes one piece of grit in the wrong place to bugger up a bearing. So like Alan said, Flush thoroughly!
jojob
On the street

Post by jojob »

I am doing the diesel a few times. I put some in there, and spun the crank a couple of times on Friday, and let it sit all weekend. Spun it a couple of times this morning, and then dumped it out. it was nasty. Then put more in it, and spun it some more. I figure I would just keep doing that for a few days, until the diesel comes out cleaner than it has.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

That's the way. Remember that you only get babies when you rush things....... :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.