Don't get the wrong universal indicators

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Don't get the wrong universal indicators

Post by sportston »

So I've been busy repairing and remaking connections on the wiring loom on my GT380 lately. I had great difficulty trying to work out why the indicators didn't work.
Despite new soldered connections and practically zero resistance in the wiring the brand new indicators would not flash. So I replaced the flasher unit with a new one and still had the same problem.
Eventually I stripped one of the new indicators and had a look inside. The spade fit bulbs inside were only 10w, not 21w as OE items were. After fitting a couple of 21w substitute test bulbs, the indicators flashed.

Moral of story: don't buy "universal" aftermarket indicators and expect them to work on your classic.
Now on order are a set of new 21w indicators.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Don't get the wrong universal indicators

Post by Alan H »

They're all like that. Just change the bulbs.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: Don't get the wrong universal indicators

Post by sportston »

That would be the obvious solution, but I've never seen 21w spade bulbs. I don't think you can get them that size.
I know standard bayonet fittings are readily available in various wattages including 21w, but have you ever come across the spade/blade type fitting in 21w?