Help for a young guy?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Glyn.G
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT380 B- Yamaha FZ1

Re: Help for a young guy?

Post by Glyn.G »

Hi,
That definitely sounds like the chain is catching on something. I had the same noise on my 380 when I finally got it all back together, turned out to be a new bolt I used to hold the chain guard on, it was slightly longer than the original and the chain was catching on it. Only slightly but just enough to make that annoying noise.
Maybe your problem could be similar.
blaknift
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 77 GT250

Post by blaknift »

Alan H wrote:Strange. I would be tempted to take the chain off and try it, or put the back wheel on the ground so it doesn't rotate. Also spin the back wheel and see if the noise is there. If you take the plugs out, you'll be able to do that in all the gears. You might need to turn the rear wheel to 'get' in and out of gear with the gear lever and to regain neutral. Don't force it, just lift/press the lever as you turn the wheel and it will click in. Remember that the engine would normally be running when you do this, so would turn the gearbox and help selector alignment as normal.
My next plan was to take the chain off the sprocket and turn the output shaft to see if I can feel anything. I don't remember feeling anything when I was working on it on the bench. I'll check the rear wheel too as it could be the wheel bearing and the sound just travelling through the frame. I wish this chain wasn't solid so it wasn't a complete pain in the ass to deal with. I suppose there is an off chance I didn't put something back together correctly on the clutch side, But I think everything is in order there. If I stand on the right hand side of the bike the sound is more distant, so it seems to be coming from the left side. I hate dealing with sounds haha, you can never really tell where they are coming from.
blaknift
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 77 GT250

Post by blaknift »

Glyn.G wrote:Hi,
That definitely sounds like the chain is catching on something. I had the same noise on my 380 when I finally got it all back together, turned out to be a new bolt I used to hold the chain guard on, it was slightly longer than the original and the chain was catching on it. Only slightly but just enough to make that annoying noise.
Maybe your problem could be similar.
I replaced the hardware on the sprocket cover but didn't touch anything else frame wise. I looked down the chain guard and couldn't see anything grabbing. Gahhhhh I hate dealing with sounds haha.
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

Is the chain stretched? I had one that did similar, when I adjusted the chain it was at the stretched part and when I turned the wheel it got tight. Every time it got to the tight spot the chain would rattle and jump. Now I check free play the length of the chain.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

Just a warning, never use compressed air on the oil injector lines. You will jam the bb and it will be near impossible to get loose to work right. Remove the lines and flush with carb cleaner, visually inspect the check valves and lastly reconnect to oil pump. Somehow you can drive the pump with an electric drill, operate the lever to be sure it will increase or decrease flow rate. When stopped there should not be any oil dripping from any check valve that bolts to the crank cases. If it does, best to replace with new check valves. Uncontrolled flow will make one cylinder foul plugs or at the least carbon up ports, exhaust, rings, etc. By the looks of your brake light, it is a 1977 B model. The thin wide lens was used up to '76. The A model was a '76.