2 x GT500 76+77 and a GT550 76 :))

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Peter Brauner
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RG250, GN400, T350,GT380, GT500 + GT550

2 x GT500 76+77 and a GT550 76 :))

Post by Peter Brauner »

So the short story is i´m kinda grown up on 2strokes. First bike my old racing pal would let me by at age 20 when i first got a license
was a MZ ES150 .. HAd to ride it for a year before i could buy something bigger...
Eventually sold it , didn't ride for years really .. until about 2014ish.
Build a Yamaha Cafe racer, sold it .. went back to the caribbean as a dive instructor, spent a year in Cayman and then cam back to Denmark.
Immediately stubbled om a Honda CB650 , cafe raced that into a CognitoMoto like beauty. then basically i=ve been thru a Suzuki GN400 Scrambler, Stock RG250, XT350, Found a bmw R80 (undergoing Cafer treatment now), Moto Guzzi V65 police (now my scrambler daily), winter bike is a bmw r65gs military version (great as is for danish winters , lol) ..
Then sticking to this forum , besides the pretty cool RG250, i managed to scoop up a very well kept ex/museum T350 in orange.
Absolute Beauty and fun to drive. One thing let to another and here we go being back doing what i promised myself i wouldn't do.
Plan was SIMPLE> Finish the BMW R80 Cafe. Run that & the Guzzi, have the R65 for bad weather days . Job done > Finito
Capiche !! Comprende !! ... yaa, NO, what do i do ...
Browsing facebook , stumble on the good old ... "Have tonnes of old suzuki bits and 2 bike / Need to go asap" ... And what do i do .. Duuhh . Buy the whole damn lot

SO why would i do such a foolish thing > well ,story recap is besides the old racing friend i happen to have another good friends (which the first racing guy introduced me to while back when i needed rims laced) .. Enter the picture is old Ex racer Eli (raced anything from a NSU ending up on RG500's) . so hence having him as back up i knew these bikes would eventually run again.

So, got a good deal > incl the fact that the seller loaded a trailer with both bikes , a crap LOAD of parts.. as in a lot. like 100's of bits. drove across country and dropped it off free of charge as he was picking up a race gearbox for a US car anyways >Duhh.
Can you all feel it. ?? It was meant to be right . SO basically my love of old suzuki 2 strokes got the better of me.

Having said that the 76 GT500 is only missing the PEI, However the seller is convinced he has it, gonna find it and then it should run.
Crank on the one was redone and have done 500km , a old flat track/ speedway guy rebuild the engine .
Has a Kawa z650 seat and rear but chrome is good and has the WM3 front rim , dual discs , new KONI's, new chain and sprocket kit and just needs to be assembled.
The GT550 76 is a bit "worse" .. but .. besides missing 2 exhausts L/R outer ones with headers its pretty much there. Besides there are plenty parts to build 90% of a 3rd bike.
There is a short block to this one that also has a redone crank, did 1100kms but then dropped a piston clip, but the block is good, new gearbox, new clutch, so Eli and i have just split that one , cleaned it and made sure its was good.
Plan is to move the Nikasil cylinders , refurbish the Carbs and then just get that bike rebuild over time.
I have access to a Aquaknife water polishing machine so that helps.
I already have 3 tanks available , the seat is perfect and i found a second one ill stick on the GT500 ..

So minus a 3rd frame and rear swingarm i pretty much have a complet one plus a tremendous amount of parts . SO if any one is short chances i might have it. >lol. feel free to ask .

Hmmm > .. did it end there . nope. : went thru the net and pretty close to me i came across an add for the Red GT500 76.. Thought the price was to good to be true and sure enough . After a engine rebuild , it didn't provide oil the crank properly and it blew out one cylinder and head ... the rest is in good condition. Seat , tank , wheels etc .. So why not. picking that up as well in order to have mine looking better with stock seat, prettier color and combine it to 77 dual discs.
Also scooped up a WM3 rim for the rear to complete it.

So : from finishing one cafe racer build i went backwards to having 3 bikes. at least i won't be bored for a while.
Plan though is to sell of the GT550. Its fun but i prefer the Twin. (and then it can also pay for the secret bike im having build too. >lol. .. i promise ill reveal that later on. >> )

Throwing up some pics to go with this introduction here:
Feel free to join in , comment , ideas .. although please do NOT lure me into building a super uber cool TR500 >lol. just finished reading several posts and they are super cool ... and answer is no . and i dont track ride anyways. :)

Pictures coming in a bit. trying to make a folder of all 450+ pictures and just link to that one :)

Placed in Copenhagen -- Denmark. ;)
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: 2 x GT500 76+77 and a GT550 76 :))

Post by Alan H »

Must be the longest intro ever!
Welcome to tbe madhouse - good choice of bikes to play with.
Last edited by Alan H on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Welcome. When you get fed up of 2-stroke bits cluttering your garage, please send them to me. i will give them a good home. :D :up:
Peter Brauner
On the street

Post by Peter Brauner »

Lol, i know . i should probably take up Writing .. lol. And then , no .
Ill stick with mocking about with oily bits. :)
I´ve tried to upload pictures since i made the tread but the Photobucket app is screwing me over. Trying the laptop now.
Peter Brauner
On the street

Post by Peter Brauner »

Sportson :
.. i got the extra GT500 cause i want to back date the blue one with a cooler tank/side panel set. Also cos that´ll give me a correct seat. The PEI should turn up for the ´77 and as the seller recalls the 76 is Points ignition ..
So technically , if your interested , there is the Red ´76 , with danish papers, paired up with the blue tank/panels and the Kawa seat ?
I'll hopefully pick the red one up tomorrow or during the weekend. And then ill take/post more pictures ..
I just want one running fun GT500 :)
Peter Brauner
On the street

Post by Peter Brauner »

Here we go , i hope :) Turns out it was the "live" mode on Iphone camera that ***** things up ..

1976 GT550 Red :)

1977 (or 76) GT500 Blue Kawasaki Z650 seat

This is being picked up this weekend :) GT500 ´76 Red . Blown engine, bend rod, disintegrated piston the cylinder but one side is okay.
Engine casing might be cracked:
12 years ago :

And now :((((

I'll make a complete album with everything i got . Then ill post a link here.
I might need info on parts and compatibility and someone might need parts :lol .
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

I notice the Gt500s have folding front footpegs. That is a good feature. My GT380 could do with a set of those. I intend to make a set myself.
I like the twin disc set-up on the blue 500. I wonder what forks were used.
A nice set of alloy rims on it too.
About the 76 bike; After consideration... I think my wife might object to me getting yet another project right now. But... if you still have it in a year or two, ask me again please.
Peter Brauner
On the street

Post by Peter Brauner »

I read somewhere that the very last GT500s came out with Borrani wheels and twin discs. ?
But i haven't been able to confirm that anywhere. Was hoping some of the old racing guys might know.

A friend suggested it was a XS650 front wheel but the brakes look std suzuki , no ?

As for your wife, i dawns on me its either a good im not married or i'd be clever to get married and no longer fill up my space with all this :)

The GT550 came with a short block that'd only done 1100kms after rebuild with a newl refurbished crank :)
Was filled with oil to protect it but still wanted to get it apart and inspect it with Eli.
Crank got cleaned up and looks fine. Gearbox looks brand new and so did clutch. thats nice.
Bought a gaskets kit set for it , as soon as that gets here we can close it back up and work on cylinders .
There is a early Nikasil set on the bike now. might be better to find pistons for the extra barrels i have now and get work done as to have new new though. Meanwhile , cleaning engine casings is fine for en extended coffee break.
:lol

Peter Brauner
On the street

Post by Peter Brauner »

Quick test to see if this works. photobucket missed about 50 pics but i think most must have been secondary of the times :

http://s266.photobucket.com/user/PeterB ... ary/Suzuki" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Peter Brauner wrote: As for your wife, i dawns on me its either a good im not married or i'd be clever to get married and no longer fill up my space with all this :)
Well, I currently have 3 women in my life and they each vie for my time. I have a GT380M called Gita, a Bandit 1200S called Sabina and my wife affectionately called Peanut. It is never possible to satisfy them all simultaneously. I have to juggle carefully. So maybe you make a valid point.
Peter Brauner
On the street

Post by Peter Brauner »

I like that ! Ill start naming my ladies too. Just have to not sound polyamory-like when people ask if im taken. :lol :D

Thought i'd make a line up of the Tanks i have around (suzuki's) ..
First one im not sure what model it is . =?? Anyone recognize it ?

Green GT550 tank:

Not even sure what this color is called. :lol

a GT250 tank. just primed but has no issues :

Super cool patina'd GT550 tank , not sure the factory Color name for this:

A TS tank ??

and what i presume is a nice clean T/GT500 oil tank:
Peter Brauner
On the street

Post by Peter Brauner »

Picked up the project with the failed engine today.
Good parts . . . he brought the majority of the bits inside years and years ago : so oil tank , panels , tank , engine parts , exhausts etc are all in very good condition minus the broken engine bits
Bad part : the rolling chassis sat in a damp garage and have accumulated quite some surface rust. But it can be salvaged :)
Just need a AquaKnife water polishing machine and some money for new bolts and bits :)))

Here is a album to give an over look of whats there . Initial plan is to move the PEI to my blue one . Exchange the good red tank , panels plus the seat to my Blue one making it original . Probably headlight too.

The ill combine the blue bit with this project and sell it of: any one interested just give me a shout. Ill post it in the Classified section soonish:)

;)

http://s266.photobucket.com/user/PeterB ... %20Project" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Looks like a good haul!
Peter Brauner
On the street

Post by Peter Brauner »

Sportson ...
Indeed it is .. and absolutely massive too :))