DYNOPORT EXPANSION CHAMBERS

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

yamahale
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

DYNOPORT EXPANSION CHAMBERS

Post by yamahale »

Has anyone purchased Dynoport chambers for the GT550 or any other models? He(Rich Daly) is here in New York state and is famous, his price is higher than Jemco but are very high quality......I am interested in a 3:1 for the sound, just dont want 3 separates for my own reasons....
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: DYNOPORT EXPANSION CHAMBERS

Post by jabcb »

His website: http://www.dynoport.com/dyno_port_products.php
He also does exhaust ceramic coating: http://madscientistcoating.com/cycle-and-atv/

His product list doesn’t include vintage two stroke street bikes, but that doesn’t necessarily indicate that he doesn’t sell them.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

If the sound and look is most important, I would go with a 3 into 1 from JEMCo. They made the pipes pf Phil Little (Omar's Torque Canon). I have one on a GT750 and the sound is amazing, plus it is light.
yamahale
On the street

Post by yamahale »

I have been PM'ing him and he will do it, he needs to wait till March(his snowmobile season is big time)and to bring the bike to him(I will trailer it, and I believe I have to leave it for a bit). He is only about an hour away from me which is nice. I saw in one of his videos that he has kept all his old jigs and he didnt seem to hesitate when I stated 3:1 and didnt try to talk me out of it like Gemco kinda did. Back when I was into RD's I spoke to him on the phone as he was great with them, he was locally famous over 30 years ago but not sure what he did with the GT's.
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Any pics of Dynoport 3-into-1s? Any info on what it does to performance?

Jemco 3-into-1 on my gray GT750:
ImageGT750-1975_0583 by jabcb, on Flickr

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
yamahale
On the street

Post by yamahale »

tz375 wrote:If the sound and look is most important, I would go with a 3 into 1 from JEMCo. They made the pipes pf Phil Little (Omar's Torque Canon). I have one on a GT750 and the sound is amazing, plus it is light.
I agree, I have emailed Jon a couple times now, I am interested, but then DP popped into my head. They are a local household name in the right circles when it comes to performance 2 strokes. I thought that would be different since no one else seems to have one and he is confident his will be a better pipe than Jemco's, which could very well be true....

Me: "Hi Rich, I know you were into the RD's back in the day(we spoke on the phone about 30 years ago), but did you ever build pipes for the Suzuki GT550 triple? I actually am looking for a 3:1, I dont care about the peak power its not a top end bike anyways...thanks!"

Rich: "Bring it out in March and we can do it"

Me:"OK, how much would it be?

Rich: "Rough estimate 550 to 650 depends on if we can use your flanges and a few inches of header"

Me: "OK I have a spare stock exhaust I dont mind cutting up etc. I was considering a Jemco 3:1 for $500 so you are in the ballpark."

Rich: "Yes and no comparison in welds or fit and finish, we can do it for 550 in the Spring and you can choose type of silencer we build"
yamahale
On the street

Post by yamahale »

jabcb wrote:Any pics of Dynoport 3-into-1s? Any info on what it does to performance?

Jemco 3-into-1 on my gray GT750:
ImageGT750-1975_0583 by jabcb, on Flickr
Boy it is a good looking pipe, is that the nickel plated version?

No, and no sounds either. I am familiar with his work(very famous around here in 2 stroke circles) he was into RD's, MX bikes, Quads(his Banshee 2:1 is popular) and now mostly snowmobiles. Mostly drag racing but he understands being WOT for long periods also. So my dilemma, do I just get the known Jemco or the 'unknown'(not totally true) Dynoport. I would be the only one around with one thats for sure!
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Yes, they were nickel plated by Jemco. As you can see, the header blues fairly quickly.

I had wanted to keep the frame centerstand bracket, but there wasn’t enough clearance between it & the pipe.

I’m not 100% sure about the motor internals. The PO built the motor using 72/73 series carbs & 3-into-3 chambers. His documentation included performance mod info from the SmokeRiders website. The end results was very little power below 4k rpm & a mad rush of power a bit over 4k.

I switched to the 3-into-1 pipes to get the low end power that Omar’s DTR claimed. Also upped the pilot jets a smidgen. Now power comes on strong at around 2k rpm.

The 3-into-1 also supposedly cuts of at high rpm. But this motor is barely broken in & I can’t confirm the rpm results.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I know of Dynoport in the sled world. I also saw him and his sled at 131 for AMSNOW drags and he sure knows how to make a lot of noise.

Some time back I spoke to Olav Aaen in Racine and he offered to build me a custom 3 into 1. Sleds often used 2 into 1 or 3 into 1 pipes and they work well at fixed revs. Aaen's pipes are huge in volume and diameter which works on a sled but is even harder to package on a bike. Slap you bike on a dyno before builds you a pipe to get a "before" run and again after he makes it to see what the changes in power are.

Sled 3 into 1s are often revving over 8,000 and that's also where some of them peak.

My feeling with the Jemco pipe is that you lose a lot of weight and a little top end power and it feels better than stock. I am pretty sure that to make a 3 into 1 work it needs short tapered headers and a decent merge collector, but I could be wrong. For sure the sound of a Jemco 3 into 1 on a 750 is way better than any other pipe I have heard or tried.

Can't wait to see what the Mad Doctor comes up with for you.
simmons1
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1000s

Post by simmons1 »

When I lived up North back in the day I used to use Dynoport and Aaen pipes on my sleds. The both made great pipes. I seem to remember the Dynoport's making the most power but the Aaen's were better trail pipes.

I liked the sound and low end power of the TCE 3-1 one I had on the buffalo but I really like the Higgspeeds I have now except they are a little loud.
T700, Africa Twin, Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, GS1000s, GT750, H2 750
yamahale
On the street

Post by yamahale »

Thats what I am afraid of TZ375, a lot of noise. He is into winning and thats not what I am looking for. If I wanted loud I would go with separates. I feel that the Jemco 3:1 will be quieter overall and be more streetable. If I had gobs of money I would buy BOTH the Jemco and DP and sort it out from there lol
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I didn't mean to imply that his street pipes are noisy - just that he was noisy at the strip.

Jemco 3 into 3 are also noisy on my GT750 to the point of making our neighbors kids cry if they are out walking as I ride past. I personally do not like the popping corn sound of Dave Higgs's pipes at idle, but that's a personal thing. In fact I suspect that my last TZ with Swarbrick pipes may have been quieter ( should that be "less noisy") than Jemcos but that could just be the sound frequency at higher revs may be less annoying or maybe better attenuated.

My RZ has Spec 11 pipes with aluminum cans and it's quiet enough - but again a 175cc pulse is going to be less obnoxious than a 250cc pulse from my GT750.

Seems to me that muffler design plays a big part in this. My preference is an aluminum shell because they dull the resonance compared to a steel can. And lots of small holes in the baffle tube to get the sound waves out into the wadding.

From a sound perspective, the Strader and Omar's (JEMCo) 3 into 1s are superior to any separate pipes I have tried so far, but again that's a personal preference. I have a set of Bassani and J&R pipes I should repair and try on the bike to see what they sound like. Both have very different ideas on sound and I suspect the Bassani s will be less nosiy.

If the DP pipes have a decent muffler design, there's no reason they should be too noisy.
yamahale
On the street

Post by yamahale »

oh OK got ya yes he has been known to be ahem vocal, the question is can he back it up? I am talking myself more into the Jemco for the GT550. J&R Power Pipes were the 1st new pipes I had on my new RD400E, they were the best sounding and performing pipe out of the 3 or 4 that were on it over the years, but they kept self destructing themselves. I was always brazing and welding them, they had a separate head pipe and the chamber slipped on, once I was out riding a girl about 45mph when the mount tab broke on the traffic side pipe and it went skittering down the road towards an oncoming car...luckily I corralled it with my foot and pulled over and it didnt get waffled...also luckily I had a bungee cord and away I went lol