OEM Foam air filters

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

TPS
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gsx250F, SV1000S, DT230, DR250R, GT750M

OEM Foam air filters

Post by TPS »

Ok so what is the best way to look after these? I replaced mine in the GT 9 yrs ago with a new one. Followed the service manual which calls for cleaning in gasoline and oiling with motor oil or 2t oil as required.

The bike has been off the road in storage for around four years and I found the foam filter in the early stages of decay just last weekend. So that is a new filter again.

I know 9yrs is a long time but half of that time it was just sitting still. Is it the oil that destroys these or the washing in gasoline? There has to be something better to use. What does everyone else use? There are no GT750 elements in australia untill next year according to Suzuki so I had to buy the next higher assembly part for twice the price. I dont want to wreck this one.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: OEM Foam air filters

Post by Alan H »

I would blame modern fuel for tbe issues you're having. But it's better to run the bike regularly. Or if you really have to keep it stood for that long, take the filter foam out and wash all the fuel out and store it dry. I don't think it'll be doing crankseals and other perishables any good either.
GTReiner and CSMNL always have filters in stock, but I'd be checking my filters at least annually..
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: OEM Foam air filters

Post by sportston »

9 years out of a filter is ok. They do decay with age. Not much you can do about it. Just buy or make a new one every 9 yrs. Yes they are a bit pricey these days, but that is par for the course when running an ancient bike. I make my own filters from universal air filter foam to save a few pennies.