Advice on a GT750

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

nzfrank
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: none

Advice on a GT750

Post by nzfrank »

Hi,
I am new to Suzukis, but not to 2-strokes.
I am after a GT750 and a RE5 and have found 2 GT750s that I would love some advice on regarding originality, investment value in the future and amount needed to be spent to restore any non original bits.
Many thanks in advance
Kind Regards
Frank
Here are links to the 2 bikes:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=146 ... 539D27C601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=146 ... 539D27C601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: Advice on a GT750

Post by rngdng »

Two very nice examples. I personally prefer the 74 L model (the orange one), but the 72 was "the first". It doesn't have the flange-mounted carbs, so it's not one of the very early ones. The front drum brake can be adjusted to work very well, so I don't think that's an issue.

I can't comment on the prices, as I don't know your market.
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

From a quick look…

The 1972 looks correct except for the aftermarket fairing, aftermarket luggage rack, and missing mirrors. It has been repainted & the white decals are not correct.

The 1974 looks correct except for aftermarket mirrors and aftermarket expansion chambers. Paint might be original. One of the tank badges is held on by black tape. The badge may be broken. The mounting pins on new reproduction badges don’t line up correctly so it might also be a new reproduction badge. It doesn’t have a grab rail. (I don’t know if bikes delivered to your market had grab rails.)

Both bikes are quite nice. Don’t know about prices in NZ.

Check out http://www.suzukicycles.org for some general info and pics of official Suzuki brochures and magazine ads.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Both look like nice bikes. What do you want to do with it? Ride it or invest in it?
If you want to ride it they both look fine for that.
If you want to invest in it, buy one that has already had the hard work done on it. It costs a fortune to restore to mint original condition using genuine or NOS parts. It is probably cheaper to let someone else do all the hard work before you buy it.
Value depends upon what the local market dictates.
In the UK you may find a GT750 is worth twice as much as in the USA for example.
re5rotary
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RE5 GT750J RG500 T10

Post by re5rotary »

Hi whereabouts in NZ are you? In my opinion the 72 drum brake model will always be the most sort after so if its investment you want then that is the one to buy. If you want to ride then the later model may be more useable although a well set up drum front brake shouldn't cause you any problems either. Both those bikes would appear to need work so price might be a bit on the high side.
I might be able to help you with a restored RE5 if you are serious but it wont be cheap :-)
regards Terry
nzfrank
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: none

Post by nzfrank »

Hi,
I now have found what I believe to be 2 good, unrestored examples.
Can anyone advise on the 2 in the pictures attached? I assume the purple one is the more desirable?
Many thanks
Frank
GT7502.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Both look excellent.

The seats are different. The seat on the green bike looks like a NOS replacement I bought for my 75 GT750. Not sure, but the seat on the purple bike might be original.

Rear fender bolts are on backwards. you should see acorn nuts rather than bolt heads.

I agree that the 72 4LS model is the most collectible.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE