Inexperienced newbie needs help

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: Inexperienced newbie needs help

Post by karl pa »

You must kick it over quite a few times to get cleared out, also you must repair the petcock or use vice grip or something to pinch off fuel line, or it can happen again. My GT250 fills crankcase every time I forget to turn petcock off. and you will have a heck of a time getting it started, even after it is cleared.
Your audible of the starter, definitely sounds mechanical rather than electrical. alan h is the 550 man, just follow his instructions you linked.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

karl pa wrote: STOP It sounds like you have to much fuel in the crankcase, causing hydrolock. If one of the other cylinders fire, you will distroy your lower end. At the front of the engine, at the bottom are the sris lines, unsrew them from the crankcase to drain, another way is to pull spark plugs and put a rag over head and kick over. If your petcock is not stopping the flow, is a main reason for filling crankcase.
Agreed. STOP. It does sound like hydrolocking. Possibly one of the carbs is overflowing and flooding a cylinder. Drain the crankcases like Karl said.
If this keeps happening, you must remove the carbs and strip them. Hydrolocking is usually caused by a carb not shutting off the supply of fuel.
pgb123
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550

Post by pgb123 »

Received the gaskets for the petcock today and it still leaks. It's fine when in the Fuel position, but leaks from the lever when in the Reserve position.

From the parts diagram on Partzilla, it looks like there were three different versions of the lever gasket (it's the clover one with the four holes in it). For L/M Models, the part number is 44376-33150. For K models, the part number is 44376-31050 and for A/B models, the part number is 44341-33150. Are these, in fact, different gaskets?

Also, is there an index anywhere where old and new parts numbers are cross-referenced?

Thank you!
Last edited by pgb123 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

As the part numbers are different I would guess they are different. According to info on Robinsons Foundry 44376-33150 is for J and K models and 44341-33150 is for L,M,A and B models. So yes it would seem like you got the one for the earlier model instead of the one for your later model. Perhaps that explains the leak.
When you get the right part, don't forget to install the spring washer, without it you may get a leak.
Best of luck.
pgb123
Around the block

Post by pgb123 »

sportston wrote:According to info on Robinsons Foundry 44376-33150 is for J and K models and 44341-33150 is for L,M,A and B models. So yes it would seem like you got the one for the earlier model instead of the one for your later model.
Thanks for the quick reply! I thought I had an A model bike because of the fender configuration, but according to the serial number, I have an M. I ordered part number 44341-33150, which Partzilla lists for the A/B models, but Robinsons Foundry has listed for an M. It seems to fit well, so I'm a bit confused. The spring washer is installed. Gonna run the petcock through an ultrasonic cleaner and try again.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

Double check under the fuel cock lever for proper seating of the spring washer. I just replaced a petcock on my A and had fuel leakage due to cockeying of the spring washer seat. Tighten the two small screws on the position indicator plate incrementally to minimize seating issues.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
pgb123
Around the block

Post by pgb123 »

Evans Ward wrote:Double check under the fuel cock lever for proper seating of the spring washer. I just replaced a petcock on my A and had fuel leakage due to cockeying of the spring washer seat. Tighten the two small screws on the position indicator plate incrementally to minimize seating issues.
Will do. Thank you!
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

pgb123 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! I thought I had an A model bike because of the fender configuration, but according to the serial number, I have an M. I ordered part number 44341-33150, which Partzilla lists for the A/B models, but Robinsons Foundry has listed for an M. It seems to fit well, so I'm a bit confused. The spring washer is installed. Gonna run the petcock through an ultrasonic cleaner and try again.
Looks like you have the correct part then. Like Evans said, check your spring washer is seated ok. Also check that you have not got any pitted and corroded areas on the sealing side of your lever. Check the plate that holds your lever in is not bent and is being clamped fully..
Also are you sure that is where the petrol is coming from? Could the juice be dripping off the lever but running down from elsewhere. (e.g. The sealing rubber and/or the sealing washers where the tap affixes to the tank)
pgb123
Around the block

Post by pgb123 »

Evans Ward wrote:Double check under the fuel cock lever for proper seating of the spring washer. I just replaced a petcock on my A and had fuel leakage due to cockeying of the spring washer seat. Tighten the two small screws on the position indicator plate incrementally to minimize seating issues.

That was the issue! Problem fixed. Better news, got the bike started!! Tons and tons of smoke. After about five minutes, the smoke decreased, unless I revved it. Should I keep revving it until that decreases the smoke at high revs or is that just the nature of the beast?

Thanks everyone for so much help!
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Great news, she's a runner. -Yes, you can expect it to smoke a lot at startup, and once it warms up the smoke will ease off a bit as you've found, -it probably won't 'clean up' properly until it gets out on the road for a decent run at which point smoke should lessen considerably.

If it keeps smoking badly then you will have to investigate further.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

pgb123 wrote:

That was the issue! Problem fixed. Better news, got the bike started!! Tons and tons of smoke. After about five minutes, the smoke decreased, unless I revved it. Should I keep revving it until that decreases the smoke at high revs or is that just the nature of the beast?

Thanks everyone for so much help!
Glad that you fixed it! Yes, we must not overlook the simple fixes. On the smoke issue, follow joolstasho's advice. Also check your oil pump setting too. Now.... get out and ride!! I did today on my Suzuki. :clap:
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Congratulations. You've got a runner. Cue smoke-trailing fun! :up: Ring, ping, ping, blaaaaaarrpp! 8)
pgb123
Around the block

Post by pgb123 »

sportston wrote: 5. While we are on the subject of dirty fuel...it is highly recommend that you fit an inline fuel filter between your petcock and your carbs. This will cost you peanuts, but can save you lots of monkey business later.
Any suggestions for what type/brand of inline filter to get? Type of hose to use to attach it?

Thank you!!
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Just one thing to be aware of with fitting an inline filter.
May not be an issue with your bike, but...

It has been known for an inline filter to restrict fuel flow enough that at full throttle, under load, the carbs might not deliver enough fuel and consequently lean off the mixture.
Not nice on a 2 stroke particularly, as seizure can be an issue.
I'm not saying it WILL happen, just that it CAN, and you should be aware of it.
Obviously an inline filter needs to have inlet / outlets sized to suit your existing fuel hose.
(BTW many fuel taps have filters built into them anyway, making an inline filter redundant).
pgb123
Around the block

Post by pgb123 »

joolstacho wrote:Just one thing to be aware of with fitting an inline filter.
May not be an issue with your bike, but...

It has been known for an inline filter to restrict fuel flow enough that at full throttle, under load, the carbs might not deliver enough fuel and consequently lean off the mixture.
Not nice on a 2 stroke particularly, as seizure can be an issue.
I'm not saying it WILL happen, just that it CAN, and you should be aware of it.
Obviously an inline filter needs to have inlet / outlets sized to suit your existing fuel hose.
(BTW many fuel taps have filters built into them anyway, making an inline filter redundant).

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering why the inline filter might be necessary because the petcock actually has two filters, one in the fuel bowl and one on the inlet tube.