Brakes... or not to much of !!!

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tj2
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: sv650 sv1000 gs650 ts250 gt185 gt250 gsx250

Re: Brakes... or not to much of !!!

Post by tj2 »

Right got myself a new genuine fuel tap...... question is do I need the adaptor plate or not?

Its just to cold for me to go play today, that's why i'm asking. Need to fit it soon else I will have no fuel left in the tank.

Terry
Gold 1974 GT250 regularly ridden like it should be. Blue 1976 GT750 under restoration/rebuild ready for abuse. Now registered and on the road !!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

If you use the adaptor between tap and tank, the reserve will be a bit smaller, but the 'normal' on will be a bit larger.
So your choice really.
Make sure there are filters on both main and reserve pipes inside the tank (on the top of the fuel tap).
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
tj2
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: sv650 sv1000 gs650 ts250 gt185 gt250 gsx250

Post by tj2 »

Thanks for that Alan, new tap, new filters got all new seals from previous tap repair kit so.....
If tomorrow is bright will have the tank off and new bits fitted

Terry
Gold 1974 GT250 regularly ridden like it should be. Blue 1976 GT750 under restoration/rebuild ready for abuse. Now registered and on the road !!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Make sure the tank is swilled with clean non-ethanol fuel, or the tank will rot before your eyes.
Not really, but it's crap stuff and really will cause problems - ethanol, I mean.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
yamahale
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by yamahale »

Alan H wrote:Using the tank with a vacuum tap actually pumps fuel into the carbs, it doesn't just dribble in, so the float valves must work properly and seal when they should.
There is no pump on the tap, the vacuum/pressure pulses just open and close the plunger quickly and the fuel does come out in a dribbly fashion when running. The 'PRIME' position turns it full on like a manual petcock to refill the carbs after sitting. Theoretically the float valves should seal even with a leaking petcock but there is a good reason they switched to vacuum taps
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

The diaphragm IS the pump.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

No it isn't.......

It simply allows fuel to flow. There is no discernible pressure from the diaphragm moving. Interesting thought though. :)
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

Can the 5/8” master from the dl650 v Strom be used with the stock thickness GT750 disc rotors?
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

yamahale wrote:there is a good reason they switched to vacuum taps
Yup. See below.
tz375 wrote:No it isn't.......
It simply allows fuel to flow. There is no discernible pressure from the diaphragm moving. Interesting thought though. :)
Strange, it does on mine, as the diaphragm moves with fluctuating inlet pulses, it actually shoves fuel into the carbs. Only just, I admit, but definitely a help.
Isaac Newton would have been proud as Suzuki improved gravity (by negligible % unless you turned into a tired float valve of course).
I tried a 'straight' on/off tank tap on a 550 and the bike ran slightly lean until I replaced it with a vacuum tap, so although it may be just 'a gnat's dick worth of pressure', there seems to be a bit of help of getting fuel to the floatbowls.
Exactly how much, I care not, but there seems to be 'a bit'.