How to Flush the engine?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

miladbyshiraz
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki SV650, Suzuki GT185

How to Flush the engine?

Post by miladbyshiraz »

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for all the good info.
I've recently bought a 1976(or 75) GT185 which recently found out needs a new set of pistons. however, I tried to clean the rods, and the housing but pouring gasoline down the cylinder. now, I don't know how to flush/drain it!! there is only one drainage for the gearbox, but nothing for the engine!! any thoughts/suggestions?
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: How to Flush the engine?

Post by sportston »

Easy! With the barrels and head removed just turn the bike upside down. :up:
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Ok, ok...so the plan outlined in my previous post might have the odd flaw. However, an alternative may be the following;
If you have a high pressure airline, blow the liquid out with compressed air. It will make a mess and you will need tightly fitted goggles. Petrol in your eyes, stings like hell and probably isn't that good for your eyeballs (I know from experience).
OR
Get a syringe with a piece of flexible rubber tube on the end to suck most of it out, before attacking the remainder with compressed air.

MOST IMPORTANTLY....make sure you have lubricated it with a little 2-stroke oil after removing the petrol.
miladbyshiraz
Still in the Driveway

Post by miladbyshiraz »

sportston wrote:Easy! With the barrels and head removed just turn the bike upside down. :up:
my dad also said that :-) this is great.
miladbyshiraz
Still in the Driveway

Post by miladbyshiraz »

sportston wrote:Ok, ok...so the plan outlined in my previous post might have the odd flaw. However, an alternative may be the following;
If you have a high pressure airline, blow the liquid out with compressed air. It will make a mess and you will need tightly fitted goggles. Petrol in your eyes, stings like hell and probably isn't that good for your eyeballs (I know from experience).
OR
Get a syringe with a piece of flexible rubber tube on the end to suck most of it out, before attacking the remainder with compressed air.

MOST IMPORTANTLY....make sure you have lubricated it with a little 2-stroke oil after removing the petrol.
after reading this post, I talked to a local oil-change shop to use their suction to suck it all up. I'll let you know if it actually works. Thanks for taking the time :-)
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Wouldn't it be easier just to pull the motor off, and dump it out?

I've pulled the motor off my T500, hauled it down in my basement, pulled it apart, put it back together, and mounted back on the frame in just a few hours. And a hell of a lot heavier than a 185.
miladbyshiraz
Still in the Driveway

Post by miladbyshiraz »

ConnerVT wrote:Wouldn't it be easier just to pull the motor off, and dump it out?

I've pulled the motor off my T500, hauled it down in my basement, pulled it apart, put it back together, and mounted back on the frame in just a few hours. And a hell of a lot heavier than a 185.
I'm worried about putting it back together!! :-) it's been really hard for me to find parts for it. maybe i'm not looking in the right places.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

miladbyshiraz wrote: I'm worried about putting it back together!! :-) it's been really hard for me to find parts for it. maybe i'm not looking in the right places.
To remove, or even strip, the engine you shouldn't really need any new parts other than a gasket set and some sealant.
Or were they the parts that you were struggling to find?
Of course, what you find when you strip it is another matter. You may find parts need replacing that you didn't know about. But not finding out about them now, may be a case of burying your head in the sand.
If it needs replacing, it should be replaced, reconditioned or fixed. This philosophy might give you a temporary headache, but it will help you avoid blood-vessel bursting migraines in future.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

Taking one of these engines apart for the first time can be a little scary. Having said that if you take your time and take lots of photos it's very rewarding! There is loads of help on here and if you get stuck just shout up. With basic tools you can pull apart and service these engines and you will learn loads that will give you confidence in the future.
Try and get a workshop manual they are a great help. Internet sites like Partzilla and alphas ports can also help show you what order parts are assembled in.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Question was asked how to drain the gasoline poured into the cylinders. No need to disassemble the entire engine (though possibly needed for other reasons). I recommended removing the engine from the frame, drain gasoline (and transmission oil, as it would be a good idea) by inverting the engine, reinstalling and refilling fluids.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

ConnerVT wrote:Question was asked how to drain the gasoline poured into the cylinders. No need to disassemble the entire engine (though possibly needed for other reasons). I recommended removing the engine from the frame, drain gasoline (and transmission oil, as it would be a good idea) by inverting the engine, reinstalling and refilling fluids.
Yes, but he mentioned he was worried about parts availability if he removed the engine, thus I mentioned that removing or even stripping it requires very few parts.
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

miladbyshiraz wrote: needs a new set of pistons.
One word of advice, use suzuki pistons, that are still available from suzuki. When I rebuilt my 76 GT 185 I used cheap ebay pistons, what I found was the crown height was lower resulting in low compression. After that I only use suzuki pistons.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe