Judge these pistons please?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Skaal-tel
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 suzuki T500

Judge these pistons please?

Post by Skaal-tel »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-T500-Pis ... RY%7Eo%7E1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks like a good deal, the price is certainly right. And located in the same country as myself.

Alternate suggestions?
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Re: Judge these pistons please?

Post by Vintageman »

I think they are Cruzinimage (ebay) seller's pistons that someone had coated. I think this is the thick type soft powder coating which will wear off and then piston slap. Some say count the coating before bore job, others say not so much and it will "break in fit". I have played with powder coatings before to try and close up gap... but don't last. The latter idea makes sense to me these days, but I don't use that thick stuff anymore

There are other harder coatings that will get you 0.0015" on forged pistons and about 0.0001" on cast.

Cruzinimage pistons are OK but usually some subtle error when they we reversed engineer. May or may not matter.

If I do a T500 again that I want to rev up, I would go with forged like Wossner $$$. They have thinner coating that seams to last too. Also if you want less slap, keep clearance to ideal not on the far end of tolerance range. And if slap more reason to go forged for stronger skirt like forged.

If you got the coin don't cheep out if piece of mind matters to you. Dang ,piston and bore condition sure makes a difference in performance, engine noise and long term reliability.
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Those gudgeon pin circlips look dire. Use OEM unless your name is 'Lucky'.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

must admit, i prefer the endless [plain wire] circlips, even though they are very difficult for me to fit :(
this sort are easier to fit, but easier to flirt out, ruining barrels, pistons, heads. don't fit those crappy circlips :D
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by johnu »

Alan H wrote:Those gudgeon pin circlips look dire. Use OEM unless your name is 'Lucky'.
Agreed :mrgreen: :mrgreen: