GT550 ignition upgrade

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: GT550 ignition upgrade

Post by Alan H »

sportston wrote:
Alan H wrote: It may have been optimistic a tad!!! :shock:
If it isn't, I want the number of your engine tuner! Lol. I'm guessing your electronic rev counter isn't calibrated for a triple?
Nice bike, same style wheels as on mine.
The rev counter pulse wire is wrapped around 1 plug lead. I've tried it every way in the book and it ticks over between 200 and 4000 rpm (without the engine note changing) and at 70mph revs at 5000 to 12000 rpm. Depending on what it wants to do. Just like a woman I suppose....... :roll:

Wheels are both GS550 as are the discs and swing arm. Disc rear as well!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Alan H wrote: The rev counter pulse wire is wrapped around 1 plug lead. I've tried it every way in the book and it ticks over between 200 and 4000 rpm (without the engine note changing) and at 70mph revs at 5000 to 12000 rpm. Depending on what it wants to do. Just like a woman I suppose....... :roll:
Wheels are both GS550 as are the discs and swing arm. Disc rear as well!
Ah I see. I fitted a similar device to a boat once. That wrapped around the plug lead and didn't work accurately too. You need the sort that are connected to the low tension side of the coil instead. They work a bit more accurately.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Tried that too with similar effect. That's why there'll be 'standard' clocks on next year - off a GT750.
That should upset the purists! :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Wire it straight onto one of the coils and it should work fine - Mine did - at least up to that last wild weekend of electrons going mad and causing mass mayhem. TrailTech works on almost any number of cylinders. I think mine was set to one spark per revolution.

I did try a few different tachos and eventually found one with a stepper motor (cheap from a Chinese ebay supplier) and it works like a charm wired into one coil. I now feed it a clean signal out of the Ignitech and so far it seems good.

What I like about the TrailTech is that it is really small and multifunction. Next time round I may go the opposite direction and fit a 6 pulse 5" Polaris tacho that works off AC.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Alan H wrote:Tried that too with similar effect. That's why there'll be 'standard' clocks on next year - off a GT750.
That should upset the purists! :lol:
What will you do with the temperature gauge?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Turn it into a voltmeter.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Alan H wrote:Turn it into a voltmeter.
Good idea. :up: