Wire harness and cable routing - pictures?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Skaal-tel
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 suzuki T500

Wire harness and cable routing - pictures?

Post by Skaal-tel »

Just like the topic says, I received this bike in a pile of parts. Inherited project, shall we say.

So that said, I have no idea how the cables and wiring are run through the frame, to the headlight bucket, etc etc.

If somebody could pop their seat and tank off... and take a couple pictures of the neck, and the battery area... Or if they have these pictures already.. I'd really appreciate it!
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Re: Wire harness and cable routing - pictures?

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

See Ians field guide page posted in another section of this forum.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Skaal-tel
On the street

Post by Skaal-tel »

Didn't see any decent pics of cable or wire routing. Can anyone tell me where the clutch cable in particular runs?

I have it routed behind the gauges, down the front left side of the fork and under the tank. Very hard pull most of the time.
tricky1962
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500J

Post by tricky1962 »

I've tried two routes - round under the right hand side of the tank (bit of a pain when trying to put the tank bank on) and behind the clocks and through the hole in the frame on the left hand side of the top rail. It didn't seem to make any difference in pull, both were quite (actually really quite) heavy.

I have switched between the standard bars for a J (quite high, almost scrambleresque) with the cross brace and a narrow low set from a GT550. The high wide ones lighten the clutch quite a bit, but all things considered I prefer the low narrow bars so suffer the heavy action.

For info I am currently using the Venhill Featherlight cable.

The action is smooth in all cases.

And just for the record, I asked this question in March this year
Skaal-tel
On the street

Post by Skaal-tel »

I ended up running the front wheel cables(speedo+ brake) behind the gauges to the lower triple clamp on the rear left side. Clutch cable behind the instruments and into the left side hole (along with the main wiring harness) behind the stem to the case. Throttle cable behind the instruments and just along the right side under the tank. Tach cable runs through the center hole under the stem to the front right side of lower triple clamp to tach. Seems to work well. So far so good.