1972 T500 - One Cylinder

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

quidger
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Re: 1972 T500 - One Cylinder

Post by quidger »

http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/Quidg ... uki%20T500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that I may have either (i) a stuck or frozen exhaust valve along with an oil seal leak or (ii) a broken piston ring.

I now have the bike running on both cylinders but the right exhaust does not have as strong an output as the left side and the header pipe only gets warm. I also noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the exhaust pipe where the header pipe and the muffler join together. I considered that it might be a blocked muffler but the presence of the oil convinced me to rule that out.

Any thoughts on which of the two issues is more likely?

I have put a link to Photobucket that has 4 picture of the oil lead in the header pipe.

Thanks
akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

Post by akendall1966 »

When its running its still supplying oil to the non firing cylinder which will blow down to the exhaust and drip out if the exhaust seal is shot. Mine did the same but the problem was flooding the RH due to a bad float valve.

Since I don't recall anyone else saying it after 25 year standing you could have bad crank seals. Its not going to run happy with bad primary compression.

Not sure I follow this "i) a stuck or frozen exhaust valve .... " it being a 2 stroke, but if you think its got good compression rings are probably OK.
quidger
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by quidger »

I had read in a couple of earlier posts that the oil seals are prone to degrade in the T500's but I hadn't considered it to be a possibility until now.

I have not checked the compression so now I'll get the gauge out and see how it reads.