71 T500 can't get from 1st to neutral once stopped

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

cubman
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 71 T500, 74 H1 74 H2

71 T500 can't get from 1st to neutral once stopped

Post by cubman »

Hello everyone, I am new to your forum and looking for some input to a problem I am experiencing with my 71 T500.

When I ride, it shifts up and down without any problems. But when I come to a stop, as long as I am rolling I can downshift into first then into neutral but as soon as I shift into first and then try to come back up into neutral the shifter wont come out of first gear. I rebuilt the clutch, the tranny seems fine. Could this just be the clutch needing additional adjustment or maybe worn shift forks? Any ideas appreciated.

Bill
akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

Re: 71 T500 can't get from 1st to neutral once stopped

Post by akendall1966 »

Could be the clutch dragging a bit, I'd certainly check adjustment on cam and cable first as other possible cause will require internal investigation.

When you rebuilt the clutch was the basket OK, where the tangs on the plate able to slide in and out in the basket slots OK. If its shifts OK through the gears when moving the shifter cam and shift forks are likely OK. Without the engine running, with the bike in gear but clutch pulled can you push it around freely compared to the same when not in gear?

Hopefully a simple adjustment.

AK
cubman
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 71 T500, 74 H1 74 H2

Post by cubman »

Yes, the tangs slide nicely in and out without any drag. I made a minor clutch cable adjustment at the handlebar and tweaked it to a little less than the 4mm which the book calls out and it seems to have solved the problem. Running or not running I can now come up out of first to neutral. Thanks for the input.
akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

Post by akendall1966 »

great - happy it was an easy fix.