Oil and white smoke

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

lawman
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250, RG500

Oil and white smoke

Post by lawman »

Good evening all,

I have a 1973 GT250 Suzuki that is now blowing a lot of white smoke from the left hand exhaust and also losing a fair bit of oil from the same pipe. Oil spurts out when I roll the throttle on and still dribbles out when the bike is idling.

Do I need to adjust the oil pump and why would it be only coming from the left hand pipe of the bike.

Thanks
markush
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250/380

Re: Oil and white smoke

Post by markush »

Hi!

White oil smoke: the motor is most probably sucking gear oil from the center crankshaft bearing, which is lubricated from gear oil at the earlier Models. The left oil seal of the center bearing will be defective.
Then the gear oil level will decrease rapidly.

bye
Markus
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Most likely the seals. Crank rebuild time....sorry.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
lawman
Still in the Driveway

Post by lawman »

That sounds like its going to be expensive.
tricky1962
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500J

Post by tricky1962 »

You don't detail the history of the engine/bike, but I recommissioned a bike that had been stood unused for probably 30 years. After running for a while, I found it was using about 100ml of transmission oil every 200 miles, with the white smoke etc.

I started using Forte oil seal conditioner and after 500 miles, oil usage dropped to zero. So I reckon I had hard rather than damaged seals maybe? I tried Wynns, but that just started up the oil consumption.
Now back to Forte and zero oil consumption again for the last 10 000 miles.

So, if the bike has been stood for a period of time, I would suggest giving Forte a go. For me it took at least 500 miles until the oil burning stopped, but it's been good since then.

I am not or have ever been associated with Forte, but if they want to get in touch...
lawman
Still in the Driveway

Post by lawman »

I bought the 1973 GT250A as a deceased estate. Apparently the bike was purchased by a gentleman to teach his sons to ride. It has 19,000 miles on the speedo. This was before Australia went to KMH.

The bike had sat covered in the owners garage for many years before I bought it. It was recommissioned 12 months ago and is in as new condition with original everything. So I am the second owner. Yesterday was the third time that I have ridden the bike as I have been unwell and therefore not able to ride much.

I am going to try an oil seal conditioner and I have spoken with Liquid Intelligence and will be trying their product and report back on how it goes.

Thanks for the tip.
lawman
Still in the Driveway

Post by lawman »

I have my oil seal conditioner and it says to mix it between 10% and 5% with the engine oil which to my non motorcycle brain means the two stroke oil as the problem appears to be with the inner crank seals not the outer crank seals. Is this correct?

Thanks
dgoodsy
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '72 gt750

Post by dgoodsy »

If you suspect it is the seals leaking transmission oil into the crankcase then put the conditioner in the transmission oil. I think the effect the conditioner would have on the seals when mixed with the injector oil would me minimal.
'72 GT750
tricky1962
To the on ramp

Post by tricky1962 »

What dgoodsy said.

I put mine in the transmission oil. A shot of Forte is 125ml (internet says 4fl oz US) and I put it all in for the first time. I had to ride for about 500 miles (over a period of time, not an iron-butt stunt) and the consumption then dropped to zero (presumably as the seals softened). Subsequently, I have halved the dose with no problems and will soon go to 1/3.
lawman
Still in the Driveway

Post by lawman »

OK now I know what to do. Thanks.
lawman
Still in the Driveway

Post by lawman »

I've been told by the oil seal conditioner manufacturer I have to use full mineral oil to get the best results.

Any suggestions on what I should get?

thanks
tricky1962
To the on ramp

Post by tricky1962 »

Cheapest 20W50? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lawman
Still in the Driveway