T500 questions?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

RossB
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RD400 T500 Titan GT550

T500 questions?

Post by RossB »

Hey gents
Just completed my 74 T500 winter project just a couple of questions did all the crank seals,Wisco pistons rebuilt oil pump, carbs,all engine seals. The question The oil pump wasn't adjusted and was smoking heavily.Adjusted pump still smoking a lot could it just be old oil burning off? Didn't get a chance to put many miles on it after adjustment, freezing out! I put some Higgspeed chambers on its a little loud! Dave Higgs said if I'm running stock air box I shouldn't have to change jetting bike seems to bog mid range. Any thoughts?
Thanks for all the help!
dgoodsy
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '72 gt750

Re: T500 questions?

Post by dgoodsy »

Yes, it could be oil in the exhaust burning off, in which case a good long run should burn it off. I am not sure what the t500 oil pump looks like or how it operates, but the gt750 oil pump lever can be turned 180° on the shaft, and then in operation it is running at full flow during idle and low throttle conditions and tapers down to low flow during high throttle positions. This obviously causes lots of smoke on idle (and lack of lubrication in high throttle positions :shock: ). Ensure your oil pump shaft and arm are oriented correct before trying to burn any oil out of the pipes though.

See this thread regarding the gt750 pump: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11662&p=155020&hili ... te#p155020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure how common or possible it is for t500 engines to leaks transmission lube into the crankcases but that would cause smoking too.
'72 GT750
akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

Post by akendall1966 »

The banjos at the engine end of the oil lines have non return valve in them. If these are not sealing very well some 2 stroke oil can seap past when standing so can be a bit smokey until it burns off.
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Post by Vintageman »

RossB wrote:Hey gents
just be old oil burning off? Didn't get a chance to put many miles on it after adjustment, ... Higgspeed chambers ... stock air box I shouldn't have to change jetting bike seems to bog mid range. Any thoughts?
Thanks for all the help!
So it sounds like you did a full motor rebuild and new higgs exhaust. So any oil build up is from your rebuild or leaky oil line from setting. Let's assume you are running a modern low smoke oil (e,g Jaso FD rated), once bike warms up, normal cruising, pump set, it really shouldn't smoke much at all. It will smoke cold, until it warms up and you get chance to clean out what settles in crankcases... a leaky oil line can cause that initial build up. If it still smokes... see if it's gear case oil :shock: We'll let's be sure it's nothing typical as stated above.

Bogging midrange (all else OK) to me it is more about the condition of your needle jet - and jet needle if all else in carb is well. Did you put in a new needle jets? Also being too retarded on timing can do this to midrange power. I am assuming your porting is all stock and you have no intention of riding redline most of the time. I have seen "race" chambers do this too, but I don't think higgs are all about top end and have fairly gentle cone tapers to my eye.
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
RossB
On the main road

Post by RossB »

Thanks
Replaced banjo's and not getting any air in the lines will have to get some miles on her.
Take care!
RossB
On the main road

Post by RossB »

Thanks for carb information just cleaned carbs used old needle jets I will change them out,timing spot on all the porting stock just had bores lightly honed cylinders are in great shape. Tried running bike before rebuild but it was blowing to much oil out center seals made dip stick up to keep eye on oil level.
Trying to get bike registered is another story no title,not enough vin numbers so can't get vin check.
Thank you!