1974 GT750 CARB PROBLEMS

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

nobaffle
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TM125, DS80, 75 GT750, 74 GT750

1974 GT750 CARB PROBLEMS

Post by nobaffle »

Hello,
This is my first post...
After about 6 times of taking carbs on and off I'm stumped.
Bike will not idle, throttle idle knob cranked tight.
Appears to be running rich and very boggy to 3000 rpm and no power under 3000 rpm. Great power and acceleration above 3500 rpm all the way to redline. My Sense is that it is between 0 to 1/4 throttle where it is worst. Once rpms come up to 3000 it seems like it can cope with the amount of fuel it is getting.
Stock bike, stock pipes and air filter.
Float levels set to 28mm.
Idle circuit is clear on all carbs. Fuel/air screw set to 1/4 turn
These carbs were in a terrible gummed up state and were full of nasty varnish and I soaked them for a couple days on my first cleaning attempt.

Could needle jet be allowing excess fuel in at idle? That seems to be my last resort to further inspect them...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
tz375
Moto GP

Re: 1974 GT750 CARB PROBLEMS

Post by tz375 »

Could be a few different things. I would start by fitting all new genuine Mikuni jets. If the old ones are still in there, they could have been damaged by previous owners.

Next I would check all three choke circuits. The latest bike I built had one choke plunger that was hard and "worn" and didn't seal well. You can test the sealing with a mityvac quite easily.

After that I would set the FUEL level. To do that you need to modify a drain screw to insert a tube and slide a clear tube over that. Level the carbs on the bench above a large baking tray to catch fuel and then fill the carbs and see where the fuel level is. It should be 3mm below the gasket surface +/- 1mm. Repeat on the other two.

BS40 carbs have some very strange tiny drillings for fuel and air in the body and in the bowl. I like to start with one - say air for the slow jet and blast carb cleaner or WD40 through that circuit. Repeat on the other two and see which one is less flow that the others and clean it again. Repeat for every hole you see and blast it both ways and compare all three carbs. Then move on to the next circuit and so on.

Good luck.
Warehouse1001

Post by Warehouse1001 »

tz375 wrote:Could be a few different things. I would start by fitting all new genuine Mikuni jets. If the old ones are still in there, they could have been damaged by previous owners.

Next I would check all three choke circuits. The latest bike I built had one choke plunger that was hard and "worn" and didn't seal well. You can test the sealing with a mityvac quite easily.

After that I would set the FUEL level. To do that you need to modify a drain screw to insert a tube and slide a clear tube over that. Level the carbs on the bench above a large baking tray to catch fuel and then fill the carbs and see where the fuel level is. It should be 3mm below the gasket surface +/- 1mm. Repeat on the other two.

BS40 carbs have some very strange tiny drillings for fuel and air in the body and in the bowl. I like to start with one - say air for the slow jet and blast carb cleaner or WD40 through that circuit. Repeat on the other two and see which one is less flow that the others and clean it again. Repeat for every hole you see and blast it both ways and compare all three carbs. Then move on to the next circuit and so on.

Good luck.
TZ, I have been searching for the fuel height spec you mentioned. Mind sharing where you found it? Thanks
nobaffle
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TM125, DS80, 75 GT750, 74 GT750

Post by nobaffle »

Thanks for your input. Checked more things and found very little "thin" fuel smelling oil in the gearbox. Refilled up to check screw and rode bike for an hour...slobbering the oil out the pipes and lots of smoke, but then lessened toward end of my 1 hour ride. Rechecked oil level and it burned a quart of gearbox oil...bad news guess the crank seals are bad...that would explain the gutless feeling it has up to 3000 rpm.
Guess it had been sitting way too long to expect it would be ok...like 25 yrs. :(

Wishful thinking it was just a carb problem!

Who out there does crank seal jobs?

Thanks
Warehouse1001

Post by Warehouse1001 »

Bill Bune in Minnesota does really nice work and is reasonably priced. Chuck
garyr
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RG 500 Gamma

Post by garyr »

Leaking crank seals can also mimic your problem. maybe someone here can tell you how to test them with a vacc gauge..I don't know how.
Currently Own
78 Street Tracker
79 XS 650 Standard
72 Yamaha DT2 250
74 Kaw 2 stroke S3 400 triple
75 Suzuki GT 750
06 Triumph Speed Triple
12 Triumph Explorer
09 KLR 650
74 Triumph Trident
74 Condor A 350
68 Honda CL 305 scrambler
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

There are two types of Mikuni pilot jets that will fit in the GT carbs, and they are numbered the same. Trouble is, one one type works. I don't have any stock carbs, so I hope someone will be kind enough to post pictures of teh proper jets, and (better yet) give you the Sudco part number for the correct ones.

When our friend Coyote built his 750, the carbs were killing him, so I had him send them to me, and he had two of the wrong kind of pilots. I made up a document and the time and posted it, but can't find it. It was years ago. I know I just gave MGMark a bunch of stock GT carb parts, so maybe he can help.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

When you get the crank back and start to rebuild the carbs and motor, you could check http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/carb/BS40carbs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for all the details you need.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

I have a GT750 that had symptoms to that last year.
The problem was a cracked piston, so it's time for a stripdown for yours too I reckon.
Lucky escape methinx!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

When crank seals go out the engine behaves differently to which seal has failed and how its been destroyed. When the left inner one on mine went out, the bike was rideable but had about 1/3 the power and no low end at all.
On removal of the crank, that seal had no centre section just the metal frame its bonded onto, so the left and centre cylinder volumes were now joined at the lower case.
A simple test is to remove the carbs and place your palm over each carb intake rubber on the barrel then turn over the engine. You should feel a slight suction effect on your hand, if you feel nothing on one or any cylinders, the seals are definitely blown.
It also makes sense to have the rods balanced on a crank rebuild, I've found most are off by a measurable amount.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Warehouse1001

Post by Warehouse1001 »

+1 on the rod balancing. Had Bill Bune do that at as well. Chuck
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

I'm glad to see someones followed up on rod balancing as well. Rotational mass such as crank wheels need to be accurate, but reciprocating mass such as rods and pistons also need to be closely matched in their weights on multi cyclinder engines. A case in point, on one GT750 engine of mine it had a weird above average vibration which seemed to be more noticable on the left side. When that crank was removed for new seals the left rod was heavier by nearly 25 grams compared to the lightest one.
On all the Buffalo cranks I've had rebuilt, two rods always need to be skimmed accordingly to obtain matching weights against the lightest one.
Bill Bune does excellent work and the guys in his shop are pleasant and easy to work with, highly recommended.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2