GT500 Cafe Racer

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: GT500 Cafe Racer

Post by titan performance »

Good work Buzzer......the tank looks very TZish.
We did find a couple of old TZ tanks in a breakers, and they adapted to fit fairly easily. I started to make a similar "buck" back in the summer, but I used timber. I was hoping to shape ali sheet over it and then get the sections welded together. I've not finished it yet, so it may end up in the fire ! Would be great to be able to make tanks, as there are so few places to get one....and the cost is quite painful too.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Thing is when you look at that tank form, there's very little difficult compound curving, shouldn't be too difficult to shape if you have a decent wooden buck.
Obviously you'd need a good alloy welder though.
Many years ago I bought a BSA Gold Star alloy tank from Lyta in Dartford (your territory Titan). Man was he a crafstman, B.G. Hitchings was his name I seem to remember. The place was totally black with the polishings as was B.G!, and the walls were lined with beautiful carved wooden bucks - fairings, tanks, seatbases. Beautiful stuff, but no doubt he's long gone now.
buzzer
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500, Harley Davidson V-ROD

Post by buzzer »

joolstacho wrote:Thing is when you look at that tank form, there's very little difficult compound curving, shouldn't be too difficult to shape if you have a decent wooden buck.
Obviously you'd need a good alloy welder though.
Many years ago I bought a BSA Gold Star alloy tank from Lyta in Dartford (your territory Titan). Man was he a crafstman, B.G. Hitchings was his name I seem to remember. The place was totally black with the polishings as was B.G!, and the walls were lined with beautiful carved wooden bucks - fairings, tanks, seatbases. Beautiful stuff, but no doubt he's long gone now.
yes, I have looked long and hard at the tank... I think I could make it in alloy, maybe a bit later I will give it a go, I am booked in for some TIG welding lessons next week, which will hopefully be a new skill. Maybe a project for next winter! I want to learn to TIG weld to make the oil tank.

Couple more things to update. I have rebuilt the oil pump and speedo drive, and also the carburettors.

The carb float bowl has a crack in it, but I have managed to get a replacement which will be fitted when it arrives.

The clutch lever pivot was quite badly worn so I have pressed a new bush in.

I have also been making the front mudguard...

GT500 Café Racer build website https://jtccc.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tricky1962
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500J

Post by tricky1962 »

Can I ask where you got the spare float bowl from?

Mine has a crack, currently blocked with JB Weld - still weeps slightly though :-(
buzzer
Around the block

Post by buzzer »

tricky1962 wrote:Can I ask where you got the spare float bowl from?

Mine has a crack, currently blocked with JB Weld - still weeps slightly though :-(
I got it via a nice guy who contacted me on here... However, I was going to get my mate to TIG weld mine... give me a bit of time and I will see how I get on. There are two types apparently though... is yours an early or late model?
GT500 Café Racer build website https://jtccc.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tricky1962
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500J

Post by tricky1962 »

buzzer wrote:
tricky1962 wrote:Can I ask where you got the spare float bowl from?

I got it via a nice guy who contacted me on here... However, I was going to get my mate to TIG weld mine... give me a bit of time and I will see how I get on. There are two types apparently though... is yours an early or late model?

I'm pretty sure mine's an early one, a 1972
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

You may want to be careful about welding carbs.....some are zinc, not aluminum. Open minor cracks with a dremel and fill said crack with JBWeld. If you do a good job, it'll hold.

Lane
Last edited by rngdng on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
buzzer
Around the block

Post by buzzer »

rngdng wrote:You may want to be careful about welding carbs.....some are zinc, not aluminum. Open minor cracks with a dremel and fill said crack with JBWeld. If you do a good job, it'll hold.

LOane
I agree, some will, some wont. I may give it a try, nothing to lose as I have another on the way.

Here is the tank ready as a mould.

titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Great work....some people are just talented.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
buzzer
Around the block

Post by buzzer »

I have been busy the last few days and made the seat. I also re did the mudguard as I didn't like the shape of the first one. The mudguard was easy, but the seat was quite difficult to get the compound curve just right. As I will be making the tank in aluminium, I mocked it up in cardboard first, and then got concerned with capacity... so i covered it in tape and filled it with water. 16 Ltr... that will be OK!

I have also moved the bracing tubes on the frame as I was not too keen on the angle, and they fouled the air filters. One of the benefits of a trial build!

The seat will be kicked up a bit at the back, hence I have not finished it in that area, my arm was hurting with all the rubbing down!

buzzer
Around the block

Post by buzzer »

Here is the seat on the bike... I will be making the oil tank in the next few days, and finishing the alloy petrol tank. Then I will almost be ready to strip it down and paint the frame!

buzzer
Around the block

Post by buzzer »

titan performance wrote:Good work Buzzer......the tank looks very TZish.
We did find a couple of old TZ tanks in a breakers, and they adapted to fit fairly easily. I started to make a similar "buck" back in the summer, but I used timber. I was hoping to shape ali sheet over it and then get the sections welded together. I've not finished it yet, so it may end up in the fire ! Would be great to be able to make tanks, as there are so few places to get one....and the cost is quite painful too.

This post got me thinking... I have been having some TIG welding lessons from one of my best mates who is an expert welder... I seem to have picked it up quite well and have already made the petrol tank (to go under the fiberglass cover) and the oil tank out of 2mm alloy plate. It would not be too far a step to try and make an alloy tank. I will look into this a bit later.

I will post some pictures of the finished tanks in a few days, I am welding the bosses on for mounting and filling on Monday. The fuel filler has proved to be challenging!
buzzer
Around the block

Post by buzzer »

The oil tank and petrol tank are now finished. I welded both up today and used some dye to test for leaks. I didn't want the oil tank ends to be flat so I spun them in the lathe to give an angled dish. an old method of metal forming.

The filler cap took a bit of thinking about, I have used the original and made an adapter which will fit on with a couple of grub screws and seal with an "O" ring.

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Excellent work. You've certainly got a dam' site more patience than me!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
buzzer
Around the block

Post by buzzer »

Alan H wrote:Excellent work. You've certainly got a dam' site more patience than me!
Thanks! I can tell you the rear sets took a while to make on my old milling machine! It was a lot quicker than it used to be though as I have converted it to digital readouts, and my lathe as well, its transformed how easy it is to use!

The bike is back in bits and the frame is off to be powder coated tomorrow.