Aftermarket UK Check Valve review

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Re: Aftermarket UK Check Valve review

Post by Vintageman »

I saw the add on ebay so I asked him about my problem.

Here is what he said->

Have you fitted and used the new valves yet? If not the valves have to be
used before they will seal correctly due to the hard steel ball and the softer brass body of the valve bedding in. I've been asked this many times and the valves have been ok when used. Dave

my reply->

I filled them. I pushed oil through them using an oil can at the spider hub... pushed until some oil came out but not too much.
They leaked so much I did not dare to use... I filled and tested twice with same result.
I have it off and can try a few more fill cycles. How many cycles do you think they need?

Thanks
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Seems to me, the ball should be seated during manufacture. Either that or a real teflon seat used. Counting on the ball to create it's own seat is pretty iiffy - especially with so little spring pressure. It's not like the ball hammers on the brass.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Glyn.G
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT380 B- Yamaha FZ1

Post by Glyn.G »

Hi, Can anyone tell me which supplier in the UK they got their Check Valves from as I'm thinking of buying some for spares and I don't want to purchase a set of dud's. The only supplier I can find is in Dudley.
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:up: Hi,yes the Dudley UK connection is the only source that I know of for the check valves :wink: on eBay UK
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
Glyn.G
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT380 B- Yamaha FZ1

Post by Glyn.G »

GT750Battleship wrote::up: Hi,yes the Dudley UK connection is the only source that I know of for the check valves :wink: on eBay UK
Cheers,
Roger
Cheers Roger, I think I'll try a set and maybe try seating the ball in the valve myself with a light tap with a punch.
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Post by Vintageman »

When I asked how long before valves OK he said

a 10 mile ride will be ok

Dave

Well, my original lines are back on the GT750. They did not leak in a couple hour test but, think they do leak slowly.... after a couple weeks setting for example, it smokes first start but, had had much worse. It's not a good thing to leave leaking for I found that this extra oil as it burns (engine still cold and warms up) really sticks and cokes internals up.

All I can say is these aftermarket parts leaked very fast ahead of me attaching them. It is a bit time consuming to do job on GT750 and unless mine gets worse, I may not retry.

Maybe instead of SRIS valves i'll put straight fitting T these three together and make one drain plug to relieve crankcase of oil. :wth:

When I get the new Kawasaki check valves I'll test before I mount lines to engine and see if they leak or not
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
Petfun
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT750L

Post by Petfun »

I just installed a set of the new aftermarket UK eBay oil injection check valves. Seemed to work when I pushed some compressed air through each, as you could hear the valve vibrating open in one direction only. I replaced all the banjo-style end pieces (5), except the silver one that has a check valve inline further up. Why did Suzuki do this for one line only, and can I just use another brass colored check valve there?

After all back together, I made a mark on the injection oil tank to see if any oil was seeping past the check valves and into the engine. Quick ride around the block, no smoking. Later to my dismay the oil had gone down a centimeter or more in the oil reservoir in just a week since last riding.

Looks like I have to go through the whole process again. Could the inline valve be leaking or one or more of the new ones?

This time I want to test each valve. How do you suggest I test the valves to see if they leak? I could just disconnect them at the end where the valves connect to the engine cylinders and crankcase and see if gravity alone allows the leak with a towel under each. Thanks.
karl pa
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

You want to be careful using compressed air through check valves, to much pressure will ruin them.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
Petfun
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT750L

Post by Petfun »

Thanks for the heads-up warning on the compressed air. Only used a can and not compressor, but will now avoid all together.

I will hang the whole oil harness of 6 lines after priming with oil and see which valves are leaking— of the (5) new aftermarket valves or the one inline valve not yet replaced. Anyone know where to get the inline check valve? Or, can I use another banjo check valve there if I can not find the inline check valve? There must be some reason they used an inline valve on that line.