Project GT550 - The Earwig.

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Project GT550

Post by Alan H »

More updates on this link - CLICKY LINKY - including pics of the hydraulic clutch actuator....... 8)
I'll try to post a better update when it's all done later this week (hopefully.)
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Long time since this thread was updated, but complete thread available here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... 156#p40156 - so......
And for those who don't know, the bike is called 'Earwig' as 'ere we go again'. The 550J is 'Yeti' as 'yetanother 550 resto'. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12751
My sense of humour unfortunately.... :roll:

Taken the Vapor dash off and all the associated gubbins and put a standard clockset on. Of course the gear indicator doesn't work - shows 8 constantly - so it apppears to be faulty. Connecting 6 core cable from coils area to headlamp missing (it wasn't needed before) so made one up and tried that without luck - it seems the display has an internal fault. I'll have a look in the box and fit one of the cheap chinky ones instead. Put some slightly higher bars on which meant that the front brake hose needed rerouting, so off it came and 'just' fitted, but needs a small bracket putting under the 3 way splitter under the headlamp so the hoses aren't tight (hose was made for lower flat bars).
Managed to finally get a 40t sprocket for the GS550 back wheel and fitted that last week - now on 17/40 so slightly lower than standard, which might help fuel consumption (if I start being more gently with the throttle!). That's dropped the revs nicely, but at an indicated 85mph  the old fuel starvation came back, so I've a new tap to fit to the tank.
Nowt straightforrard is there?
New led headlamp to fit to match the Hippo and GS too while the headlamp is off - that'll be more pursed lips from the anorack brigade. 
Last edited by Alan H on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Had a couple of 'plays' with the bike recently and changed the handlebars to a pair of slightly raised ones similar to what's on the 550J (which seems to have settled down and is running fine). Of course this means that the brake pipes are slightly short, but they rerouted and refitted ok. Got a LED headlight on same as the Hippo and GS too - doesn't look 'right' on the J so that has a standard headlamp on. Tried the indicators (now the standard clocks are on) and all 4 flash. Hmmm. LED 'waterfall' type indicators and a standard telltale bulb in the clocks. Bugger, put the old indicators back on and all seems well. I was fed up of the waterfall ones anyway as they didn't work properly as the battery voltage rose (at 5000rpm +) anyway. Managed to refit the airhorns after breaking one and JB welding it mended again, then a bit of a rush to go out on it yesterday and forgot to put the mirrors on. Surprising how much you use them when they aren't there innit?
Went up to Squires with a couple of mates on H1s and the bike ran well with no signs of fuel starvation and hit 8k rpm through the gears fine, (not in top of course, officer!) The indicators don't flash properly, so I'll swap the relay for a non led one and get the mirrors on today. Thanks to Ade for refurbing the clocks - the tacho seemed a bit sluggish at first, but settled down and worked fine after the first few minutes, so all is well there it seems now - top job mate.
Must get some pics of the new/old look.......
Anyone need an electronic dash in good working order?
Alan H
Moto GP

Re: Project GT550 - The Earwig.

Post by Alan H »

Just bled (bleeded?) the back brake on the Earwig. Not something normally done on a GT550, eh?  :wink:
The hydraulic clutch is fine btw!!!  :lol: