Project GT550 - The Earwig.

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

PHPaul
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1979 Yamaha XS650, 1974 Suzuki GT550

Re: Project GT550

Post by PHPaul »

I told the Boss yesterday I'd work all the hours he wanted through the end of June, but I wasn't gonna pizz away another Summer and I'd be going to four days starting in July.

He wasn't happy, but dependable drivers are scarce around here. He's got 5 trucks, could keep 8 busy if he had drivers and was down to three before he talked me into driving for him. A bit odd because he runs pretty much all new equipment (I'm driving a '15 Pete and I'm the FNG!) and even the older stuff is in good repair.

You do need to be thick-skinned, he can be an awful jerk when things go wrong, but after 18 years of my Dad, 22 years in the Navy and 15 in the Fire Service, it takes a lot to bother me very much. Plus, as you say, he knows I can walk any time.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Most bosses/supervisors in that sort of business aren't noted for diplomacy skills! :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Still not sure about the fairing......
Out and about today and seems to be running well, but carbs need tweaking a bit.

Hard to believe it was like this only 18 months ago.

Now there's only a 550J, another 550K and a bitsa to sort out in the 550 cupboard..............
I think a couple are going to be sold on soon so I can actually do some riding!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
PHPaul
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1979 Yamaha XS650, 1974 Suzuki GT550

Post by PHPaul »

That pic with the fairing is VERY timely. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to mine, but having seen the picture, I'm not so sure.

That looks like the EMGO I put on my Yamaha. Looks good on the Yam, but somehow doesn't quite fit the image on the GT does it?

If you get a chance, could you post a full-on side view and one from the seat? I'm curious how well it fits around the gauges and controls.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Been away for several days and when I got back & checked the bike, the Abbeyspannies were looking a bit sad with a little bit of light rusting under the laquer so I finally decided to cover up the welding and have them ceramic coated - did 'Cermakrome' this time - http://www.camcoat.com/main/coatings6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
I like it anyway!
Used Cam Coat ( http://www.camcoat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) again and very happy with price and quality, we'll see how it looks after a light spanking in the next few days!
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Those exhausts look lovely. I can't help wondering if it would be a good idea to cermacoat a few ordinary components instead of exhausts. I am thinking of things like footrests and kickstart lever on my bike.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

It doesn't quite shine like chrome, so might look a bit dull close up. Exhausts look good though!
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Yes but I am wondering if it will rust less than normal chrome
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Doesn't seem to rust at all. I'll get some pics next time I'm garageing.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Interesting. I wonder how costly it would be to get a few small parts done.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Didn't realise that this thread was so long without an update!
Anyway, last year the bike had some issues with misfiring which I traced to both bearings in the clutch cover (that carry the short points shaft which connects to the crankshaft) and after these were replaced, the bike wasn't too happy, with rattles and lots of smoke on the right cylinder. Went out on the bike and lots of smoke from the right exhaust which is a symptom of the right crank seal not being very well. :(

Due to our really poor winter and several holidays and 'new' bikes, nothing much happened until this week when I decided to get something done.

Got the bikes out today and felt really sorry for Earwig, so put the petrol on prime, hit the button and ....away she went first press. Again not happily and soon filled the garage with lots of horrible smelling smoke mainly from the right exhaust (again).
So, tank and seat off, empty the gearbox, exhausts, carbs, airbox, and several other bits are now in boxes/hung up and I'll have another go tomorrow to get the engine out and part stripped before the motor goes to see Uncle Baz for a crank rebuild and shining up again.
So we go from
and
to
in one afternoon.
Next episode tomorrow.......
The wallet moths are already throwing themselves into the bog.........
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Anyway, next exciting instalment......NOT!!!
The last post was yesterday - this one is today's doings.

Well, onwards and unfortunately downwards.
Definitely a 'Oh BUGGER' when I too the head off and looked down the right side pot.
Shouldn't there be a curly thing in there? There is in all the other gudgeon pin ends.
Hopefully there's summat in the spares department........

Since these pics, I've spoken to a friend who I helped with his late model 550 last year (Nikasil bores and Schneurle port engine) and changed the SCEM cylinders for bored out ones with steel liners and no Nikasil! The bike runs quiet and well, and he has a spare right barrel and piston that are surplus to requirements.
He also found out that later pistons could be heavy or light depending on the gudgeon pin thickness, so I have just ordered a set of scales for [s]cocaine[/s] laboratory work Image so that I can match weigh the pistons and gudgeon pins.

Honest, ossifer!! :wth: :up: :lol:
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Definitely "Oh bugger!"... Curly bits? I am wondering if you used after-market clips. Don't the genuine suzy parts come without the curly bit? If so, I guess you were unlucky enough to have got a faulty one. Don't forget to make sure you have removed any remnants of the broken clip from the crankcase. Here is wishing you better luck next time.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

The saga continues!!

Ready with the patented lifter outer harness attached!
And off to a mate with an empty bench for the next stage, which was - split cases and empty the bits out!
Empty!
And crankshaft
As I thought, the right end seal was u/s, but so was the bearing - and all the other crank bearings 'just' :? - and the 4 main gearbox bearings too, possibly due to the mileage when I got the bike -
plus another (about 3000 mainly high revving)
pic taken after a fair run from Creg ny Barr at 104.6mph, 18410 rpm :shock: and nearly 5 to 6 (time) - although the tacho may be slightly ambitious!!
So the next episode will be after the crank is repaired and a spare gearbox is fitted with good bearings.
Nowt straightforward is there? :?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

During the work, we realised the gearbox bearings were shot, so when I got home, I stripped a spare motor and took the gearbox bits down the following week. Just waiting for the crank being done, cases stam cleaned and re-mantling. I'll get on with the Yeti in the meantime.....