t500 false neutrals

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Monkey man
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T 250 t500 gt 550

t500 false neutrals

Post by Monkey man »

Hi ihave a suzuki t500 that ive owned for about 10 yrs. I keep hitting false neutrals especialy when the bike is cold.
ive also noticed it smokes more on the lh silencer than it does on the right.

any ideas what to look at first
thanks
monkey man
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Re: t500 false neutrals

Post by ConnerVT »

Monkey man wrote: any ideas what to look at first
Another motorcycle that isn't 40 years old? :lol:

I'll address the second question first. There could be several reasons for smoking more on one side than the other. To narrow it down, more info is needed. Only when cold or warm? Does it become less severe after a good, near WOT ride? Or is it constantly smoking more? How much is "more"? This will help us narrow down the possibilites.

As far as the "false" neutrals, the T500 was never known for having the smoothest shifting. I still mess up a 4 to 5 shift on mine. (I had forgotten about that, as it did the same on my first T500, too). You really shouldn't be finding neutral anywhere other than where it belongs, 1st and 2nd. If it was my bike, I would likely suspect something worn inside the case - Shifter drum or forks, or something binding on the gear shafts. Looking inside is likely where you will find the issue.
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Post by Fritz500 »

My T500 used to smoke a little bit worse on the right side. New seals on the crank and now there is virtually no smoke visible up to 60kmh (35mph).

Mine was not shifting all that well either. When I had it in bits I checked every single piece of the transmission to make sure there was no slop or tightness in the system. Reassembled it and it still shifts poorly if I don't rev it. Changing at 3500 plus it seems to rarely miss a shift. I usually shift at 2500 and have trouble mostly with 4th and 5th.

Years ago some old codger who seemed to think he knew all about T500s said to me "Keep your chain tensioned and it'll shift better". I couldn't think of any reason why that would make a difference.

I just try to shift a bit more carefully and live with the occasional missed ones.

Geoff
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

I has a brand Y slug that missed shifts all the time and when it did hit it did so with a loud CLUNK. In steps the know it all old codger. He tells me to 'preload' the shifter with your toe before actually shifting. He was right. With a little practice it shifted smooth and quiet. Of course this was a totally different animal. A shaft driven V twin. Might be worth a shot though?
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Monkey man
Around the block

Post by Monkey man »

Hi guys thanks fo the replies - the bike smokes on the LHS more than the RHS no matter ether its hot or cold. A following rider estimated nearly twice as much .
the false neutrals seem to be getting more frequent especially between first and second but they occur elsewhere as well .
its extremely annoying when im revving through the gears and I hit a false neutral sending the rev counter round the dial.

Could I be losing / burning oil and the two symptons be related ?
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Just moving the shift lever down a notch will sometimes help with missed shifting .
the older i get the faster i was
ConnerVT
Novice racer

Post by ConnerVT »

Monkey man wrote: Could I be losing / burning oil and the two symptons be related ?
Yes, this is possible. Didn't want to jump to this conclusion, until you clarified the smoking problem.

A common problem is the check valves (now 40+ years old) allowing some 2-stroke oil to pass by. The motor, when started, already has too much oil in it, and smokes more. Warm it up, give it some good open throttle time, and it clears itself out. If the left side valves are leakier than the right, then more smoke on the left.

But if it is smoking all the time, more on one side than the other, the inner oil seal of the crankshaft could be the issue. And if this is lowering the level of oil in the crankcase, then there is less oil for the transmission to lubricate properly.

I would drain the transmission oil, and accurately measure how much you get out. (Of course, you never get all of it out, but it will at least be a data point.) Refill it with fresh oil, accurately measuring how much you put in. (1200cc for early T500 / 1400 for '74+ and those with oil dam modification.)

See if fresh oil helps your shifting problem (it may or may not, depending on the amount and condition the oil that comes out is). Ride for awhile, then see how much oil you have when you drain it again. (How long? It depends. Long enough.)

You could also do a leak down test, and see if seems that you seals are still intact.
Monkey man
Around the block

Post by Monkey man »

Thanks guys at least I have something to go on - i will investigate further and let you know how I get on.
Monkey man
Around the block

Post by Monkey man »

Hi guys - just thought I would post an update. I took the advice and drained the oil ang got less than 900cc out of it - goodness knows what happened to the other 500cc. Anyway I put in 1400cc of fresh oil and took it for a spin and hey presto not one false neutral- result!

In order to keep an eye on the oil level I, ve used a t- hex key to dip it and mark the level on the key leg so that i will know in future if im losing it

Cheers
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Post by Fritz500 »

Monkey man wrote:Hi guys - just thought I would post an update. I took the advice and drained the oil ang got less than 900cc out of it - goodness knows what happened to the other 500cc. Anyway I put in 1400cc of fresh oil and took it for a spin and hey presto not one false neutral- result!

In order to keep an eye on the oil level I, ve used a t- hex key to dip it and mark the level on the key leg so that i will know in future if im losing it

Cheers

Your crank seals may be shot and you're burning the trannie oil.

Good news though that you found the problem. You may want to take a look at the transmission to see how the gears coped with the low oil level.
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

I've been having the same problems, I just changed both the outer crank seals and I've been test riding it, I'm hitting false neutral between 4th and 5th sometimes, and I have to hold the shifter up while I disengage the clutch till it catches. I'm also having issues switching into neutral when stopped for a light etc.(stuck in first) I'm going to check and see if I'm still losing oil, and I'm definitely planning on picking up or making a leakdown tester. I'm hoping I don't have to tear apart the motor at the beginning of riding season :/
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

just thought I'd post an update, I'm no longer losing oil, and I'm rarely hitting false neutrals, I've noticed a huge difference with hiway riding, I'm assuming this bike likes to be cranked on and hates the city riding.
ConnerVT
Novice racer

Post by ConnerVT »

Well, a 2 stroke =//= a 4 stroke.

Two strokes do like engine revs. But comparing the Suzuki 2-strokes to others (Kawi and Yamaha), the Suzuki has much more torque, making it fairly pleasant to roll on the throttle at 3K RPM (where others won't be happy until 4K+).

Ignition timing and or carb jetting may be in order, if it really seems unhappy around town.
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:up: Hi,yes the big Suzuki's are very under stressed beasts & don't require a lot of revs to get them "going" the 250's like to be given the berries for rapid forward progress :lol:
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

to make a dip stick using a cable tie.
the oil cap is plastic or rubber.
cut the cable tie to the desired length.
bend or fold the end that goes into the oil cap and fill it with hot glue(I didn't, I just put a point and let it dig into the side of the oil cap.)
put your cap back into the engine,pull out the plug and mark the c/tie at the oil line.
every now and then check the oil level..................
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership