GT750J over heating.....or is...it?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: GT750J over heating.....or is...it?

Post by Alan H »

Touch the body of the transducer with the other test lead and read ohms. Before you start, touch the leads together and note the reading.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
chance johns
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 71GT750,75GT550,68cobra,69titan,86RM,82GS850

Post by chance johns »

i just got some clr to flush the radiator and it says on the bottle DO NOT USE on aluminum. and google has half people saying its cool and the other half so no dont do it. from the website "Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?
No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely."

whats the deal? yay or nay?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

That looks like a definite nay.
Lots of ally engines about nowadays, so there should be proper rad flush that's suitable.
Last edited by Alan H on Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

I have used CLR without harming the radiator and then washed it out real well with the hose .
the older i get the faster i was
chance johns
To the on ramp

Post by chance johns »

see
!
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

I wouldn't. Pour some CLR in a small container. Toss in any aluminum piece and let it sit 24 hours. It becomes quite clear why the bottle says 'not for use on aluminum'.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

I didnt leave it in that long , i capped off the ends .. poured the CLR in and shook it around and poured it out and flushed real well with the hose .. i did this several times till i ran out of the bottle of CLR . Bits of junk would come out each time i flushed it . If you do feel useing CLR is a danger to your radiator get a product designed for radiators at your local auto parts place and save the CLR to clean something else .
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

chance johns wrote:see
!
Yup, I do. You? :roll: :lol:
Eddie
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 gt750, 1963 superhawk

Post by Eddie »

Im no expert at all but when I bought my gt750 the original owner had completely screwed the wiring up , he put saddle bags and a fairing on it and spliced into everything like he was just hunting for which wire was hot , anyways you can buy a remanufactured wire harness or find a decent unmolested harness on ebay, I got one half of the harness on ebay , checked it over and put it on mine and it works great, also I have not read this entire post but does your bike leak coolant? theres a weep hole on the water pump cover , pretty sure you know this, it will leak fluid when pump is bad, mine leaked here and there and I finally just bought the entire assembly and replaced my old one, ( it was not that hard but I did have to use a little propane torch to heat the old one up to take it out), also does the coolant level get low a lot? if it does you could have coolant leaking into the crankcase, check the oil , if its frothy you might have coolant leaking into the oil. I think I would check the spark plugs after the bike just went dead on you, just to make sure theres no serious damage, you could have a seriously lean condition causing it to overheat but it would have to be real bad I think and you would see that right a way on the plugs, also check the oil,,, im sure the other guys went over this stuff , they are way more knowledgeable than me,, but for sure flush the radiator if you haven't , I flushed mine with just water and I had a lot of crap come out, could be your radiator clogged with bars leak,,, some people put a crap load of that stuff because the manual says to add a small amount after you flush everything , but some people have a bad water pump seal and they get the usual drip from the water pump weep hole, then they think they need to add bars leak to fix it and before you know it your system is full of bars leak crap that will clogg the radiator if theres to much...
chance johns
To the on ramp

Post by chance johns »

i flushed the radiator and a very slight amount of flakes came out. nothing i would think that wouldnt be too problematic. also i installed both restored wire harnesses for the bike. i guess, ill check the impeller next? after that.....i dont know.
Last edited by chance johns on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

If you want to make sure your radiator is clean, take it to a radiator shop and have it checked/cleaned. It might cost a few bucks, but that's the nature of riding old bikes. On the other hand, you may really have a water pump problem, and I'm not sure how to prove it.....

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Eddie
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 gt750, 1963 superhawk

Post by Eddie »

just wondering, does your water pump have any signs of it leaking water? I was just going to say that if it does you might as well just pull it out and replace or fix,, they sale the complete pump on line or you can fix it (seals and stuff) the complete pump is pricy but everything is new, I laid my bike on its side pulled the water pump cover off and had to heat the inside up a little with a small propane torch to get it out, I took the impeller of the original pump and put it on the new one and stuck her back in, this is if yours is leaking but if its not, The other possibility is that the plastic gear that drives the pump on the left side of the crank case could be broke and your pump wont turn, the only way to check this is if you take the side cover off,,,you might want to verify that im not talking out my ass on this but im pretty sure if that gear brakes it wont turn the pump and im pretty sure its on the left side, been a long time since I looked at mine, but these gears do crack and will break , they are friggin plastic , this is just something to consider or check.....
chance johns
To the on ramp

Post by chance johns »

yeah im trying to wrap my head around all of this . so it was explained that if my tach works then tht means my pump is turning because they are fed off the same gear? so that means the plastic gear should be functioning? but that doesnt mean the impeller is functioning. what is the impeller?
after i check all i need to check and i refill with coolant, how should i be sure im not getting any airpockets in my system?
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

8) Hi,the "impeller" is the important bit that pushers the water around the system ! It's the circular bladed bit on the end of the pump..held on to the shaft by a locating pin,any parts list/fiche on the Web or workshop manual will show it clearly....if this is corroded or not turning you "will" know about it :cry: PS have you a workshop manual for the bike,if not, good idea to get one :up:
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

GT750Battleship wrote:8) Hi,the "impeller" is the important bit that pushers the water around the system ! It's the circular bladed bit on the end of the pump..held on to the shaft by a locating pin,any parts list/fiche on the Web or workshop manual will show it clearly....if this is corroded or not turning you "will" know about it :cry: PS have you a workshop manual for the bike,if not, good idea to get one :up:
Cheers,
Roger
One right here http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and lots of other great info