66 t20 electronic ignition

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Senna1918
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1966 t20

66 t20 electronic ignition

Post by Senna1918 »

Hi I’m new here and am wondering if someone can help me,I’ve acquired a 66 t20 that’s been sitting in a garage since 1980 it’s very original with lots of compression but weak spark I’m also going to rebuild the carbs.I would like to put an electronic ignition it for stronger spark and no maintenance and am wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this one https://www.regulatorrectifier.com/prod ... wheel-coil
any help would be greatly appreciated thank you Anthony.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: 66 t20 electronic ignition

Post by Alan H »

At that price, I would be sticking to points! Never heard of that one at all.
Remember that these bikes were designed in the 60s and actually raced - and won - on points ignition systems. If you have poor sparks then that needs sorting first no matter what sort of electrics you have.
Stood 45 years? Well, there's going to be some corroded wiring connections and bad earths about and you need a decent battery and an ignition system in good order.
I currently run 3 x GT550s all on points, my previous T200, TC200, GT550s & Gt750 all ran points and were reliable. At least they were after I had gone through every wiring harness connection.

It might be handy if you say hello and tell us a bit about your biking experience so if you ask for tech help, we can give you tech answers, knowing you understand.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

That looks like it might be a Chinese copy of an HPI ignition. HPI are good but for the street, you could keep your alternator if it charges well and add a custom DYNA ignition for much stronger sparks, but start with the charging circuit and battery to be sure the battery is sound and the alternator is charging it correctly.

VAPE also have a great combined charging system and ignition that works much better than stock. In the US, contact Dan at RE-MX. can't tell you who to contact in other countries.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

They claim 60 watts AC for lights + battery. Pretty skimpy. Plus you need to separately buy a rectifier regulator.

The T20 & T250 have dim low-wattage headlights. No telling if the alternator output is enough.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE