GT750 water pump discoveries

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Olafskii
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 GT750, 74 GT750, 75 T500, 76T500, 09 DR650

GT750 water pump discoveries

Post by Olafskii »

I've written before in this forum on damage that I discovered on the water pump cartridge. During re-assembly this weekend, I turned by attention to the old water pump. (I installed a new cartridge assembly that is still available from Suzuki). The guy who worked on this engine in the past I believe owned 4 tools:
-a hammer,
-vice grips,
-a Crescent wrench, and
-a big screwdriver that also doubled as a crowbar and a cold chisel.

It apparently did not occur to him that water bypassing to the tell tale hole might have meant a leaking mechanical seal. See the photo. A mechanical seal face and the carbon ring should be mirror smooth. On my 'J' these were as grooved as I've ever seen a mechanical seal. The only thing I know of that would cause this is running without coolant.

The guy probably used his crowbar to get the impeller off--and succeeded in cracking the impeller boss.
IMG_4478.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mgmark
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: ‘75 GT750, '19 Triumph T100

Re: GT750 water pump discoveries

Post by Mgmark »

I think this has become a widespread problem with less and less bike shops willing/able to work on older bikes. It is becoming more of a requirement that owners can do their own repairs. Unless you have a handy and adventurous neighbor mechanic friend.
The knowledge of how to do repairs is available. Owners only need the time, patience and tools to do their own.
It’s tough enough just getting a dealer to mount a tube type tire and tube, never mind pull the wheel off too.

Mark
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by Madbuffalo »

It's never fun finding a botched repair like that.

I restored an old truck a few years ago that 2 previous owners had done a lot of work on themselves; one a retired car hobbyist and the other a high school student. When finding a previous repair it was always obvious which one had been there before me.

Shortly after buying my GT it developed an electrical problem that I didn't understand. I called the local shop and, wanting to be sure the mechanics knew the bike, I just asked if they could work on an old 'water buffalo'. The young guy on the other end kind of laughed and informed me they didn't work on Harleys there. I thanked him for his time and set about solving the problem on my own; which turned out to be an ignition point out of adjustment. 14 years later and I'm still doing all my own work on it.

Along with YouTube and this forum there's an old book that was pivotal for me: Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Something that stood out was when the author was trying to solve problems his mind kept going to "maybe I should just let the shop figure this one out". It was only after he completely eliminated that as a possible solution that he was able to find the problem on his own - something that worked for him every time after. I've found that to be true as well.
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

If someone cant fix something as simple as the waterpmp imagine whats lurking on the rest of the bike they worked their magic on. I found an innovative repair on one engine where they threaded the weep hole and put a cut off screw in there.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2