Muffler bushings - GT750

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Whit
On the main road

Muffler bushings - GT750

Post by Whit »

I am having a heck of a time trying to know out my muffler bushings. Need to get them out before taking frame to get powder coated. Found a socket that looked to be the correct size and pounded it but they are not budging. I wonder how difficult it is going to be putting the new ones in. Anyone have any tricks on getting the old ones out and installing the new ones? Thanks //Pat
1973 GT-750
1974 Yamaha 360 DT1
1998 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Muffler bushings - GT750

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

If you use a hole saw of the right size to bore the space between the inner and outer ferrules, then it should come out. You may also need a junior hack saw to cut the outer ferrule in the bore. To pull the new one in, a bolt with a large washer and a nut - and draw the bushing in. Also - as a matter of interest - I have often not bothered removing them when powder coating and have not seen any ill effect. Of course, your mileage may differ ! 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Most definitely leave them in.. The heat from the powder coat process will not bother them. Do put a bolt through them with a large washer on both ends
Those things are double tough to get out and triple tough to replace. Been there - done that. Powder coated 3 frames with the bushings in place. No problem at all.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:up: Hi,+1 with Ian (oldjapanesebikes) exactly how I did mine 3 years ago,also when refitting pipes to fit a spacing washers between the pipe mount & the frame,stops vibration & allows the mount to work properly 8)

Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.