Hard Chrome Plating.. fork legs

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

kettle kid
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380A GT750L GT750J Z900

Hard Chrome Plating.. fork legs

Post by kettle kid »

This is a cool site, even if you don't use them (in the uk) usefull info. I don't know if you guy's have the same thing over there? http://www.amphardchrome.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :up:
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Hard Chrome Plating.. fork legs

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Actually - their 'Pitted Fork' web site is a bit better. And as far as I know, we here in Western Canada have nothing available to us like this service. :?
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

I've had the fork tubes rechromed on both my GT550 and GT750 at http://www.tcchrome.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Toronto.
They only do the chrome work though. You have to strip them down and send out just the tubes to them.

Just a thought. Would there be a large enough market here to start up a fork rebuild business? What would a set of forks, say for a GT550 or GT750, be worth, sold on an exchange basis, straightend, rechomed, resealed with polished lowers?
Or are there just many guys out there like me who would just rather rebuild their own?

Cliff.
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

And as far as I know, we here in Western Canada have nothing available to us like this service.
Well, there are a variety of places that will hard chrome your stanchions with no problems. The trick is to find someone who has a centreless grinder AND knows how to grind fork stanchions properly. There's the rub, as W. Shakespeare noted....no pun intended. :wink:
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

H2RICK wrote:Well, there are a variety of places that will hard chrome your stanchions with no problems. The trick is to find someone who has a centreless grinder AND knows how to grind fork stanchions properly. There's the rub, as W. Shakespeare noted....no pun intended. :wink:
And as you say, that is the rub ! :roll: If I can continue my rant for a moment - the other problem at least in this neck of the woods, is that this sort of work seems to be very niche, so the prices quoted are outrageous even if you can find someone who will agree to do the work. I was just quoted a tad over $500 to soda blast two barrels and an engine case which is roughly four times what it should cost ! :shock: End of rant. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

I was just quoted a tad over $500 to soda blast two barrels and an engine case which is roughly four times what it should cost !
I see what you mean, Ian. For close to that price, a guy could BUY a nice compressor and a small soda blast setup. Did you ask them where their masks and guns were ??? :lol: :lol:
Apparently they have a monopoly locally ??
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer