am I wayyy off on pricing.......

A place to list e-bay items you think others would like to know about.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

chainsaw
On the main road

am I wayyy off on pricing.......

Post by chainsaw »

There are a lot of parts on evilbay and the starting price seems wayy friggin high. Whats up with that? Is it this paul miller guy I have heard about? A NOS crank for $999.00 and many more examples like that. Is my thinking wayy off or are these reasonable?

where is the best place for some of the stuff I might need? I sure dont want to be the newbie on the block making the regular ripoffs rich due to my newness on these type bikes.
Dont believe in God ? Eternity is a long time to be wrong !!!!
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Well, Paul is actually one of the better ones, IMHO. NOS cranks are basically non-existant, and therefore the asking price. A re-seal job on a crank will cost you at least 200.00, and that's just labor. Consider all new rods, all new bearings, etc, etc.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

Chances are that same crank may need new seals? I'd feel better about the $999 if it had new crankseals on it, otherwise it may not be any good either.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

GT Tim wrote:Chances are that same crank may need new seals? I'd feel better about the $999 if it had new crankseals on it, otherwise it may not be any good either.

I agree. A NOS crank could certainly have rotten seals.

Lane

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

Is that because the seals on the crank are not protected from the air as are the same age seals in bags?
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

TLRam1 wrote:Is that because the seals on the crank are not protected from the air as are the same age seals in bags?
Who says the replacement seals are the same age? Anyway, later mfg. seals were upgraded to a blend of neoprene if I am not mistaken which held up much better/ longer. Someone more knowledgeable may confirm this or no...
Arne
To the on ramp

Post by Arne »

I try really hard not to buy NOS seals and gaskets.

You can get them brand new from some people (not necessarily Paul Miller, but he may have new ones)

I got my crank seals from GT Reiner and had my crank done by Paul Miller's man 'the crankmaster' I can't seem to remember his real name offhand.

But I've heard excellent things about Bill Bune's crank service too.

Arne
1954 Harley ST165 basket in the attic
1972 Suzuki GT750 project in the works
1981 Honda CB750-1000 driver
1982 Honda GL500 easy project
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

TLRam1 wrote:Is that because the seals on the crank are not protected from the air as are the same age seals in bags?
Actually, new cranks were coated with Cosmolene, and really heavy grease that should keep moisture out, even to the seals; BUT it's a gamble. If you have a good crank, just get new seals installed, and it'll run.

Lane