HONDA CBR500

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

HONDA CBR500

Post by Madbuffalo »

I happened upon this bike when walking through a shop the other day and was very impressed. Didn't even know they existed!
http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr500r.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It uses the same bore as the larger 600 with a much longer stroke so horsepower suffers a bit but according to reviews the little 500 more than makes up for it in torque. Top speed is 115mph so I wouldn't expect cruising at highway speed would be an issue, although quick passing might.

What I like: Claimed 70mpg!, simple 2-cylinder engine, simple cable clutch, great sportbike look with a slightly more standard rider stance.

What I really didn't like is the steel frame, apparently to save money, that actually makes it heavier than the CBR600. Personally I would pay a little more for an aluminum frame with presumably better mpg.

I've been seriously considering getting one in a few years. Eventually the buffalo will get too rare to keep using as my everyday ride.
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
RING_DING
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT750 B-4 (JDM), 1975 GT750M

Re: HONDA CBR500

Post by RING_DING »

I like it too! There's definitely a move to smaller displacement going on with modern bikes. I've spoken with owners of the new Kawasaki Ninja 300 and they love it.
1973 Suzuki GT750K with Sidecar - Bonneville 2020
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Re: HONDA CBR500

Post by Madbuffalo »

Agreed. There seems to be a resurgence of small bikes (especially scooters) lately. I like to think of myself as a minimalist. A bike/car that can do just what I need, gets good mpg, & is easy to work on; that's right up my alley. Less is more 8)
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs