Archived Posts

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Honda Benly - Anyone know about them?

Post by Admin »

Hey all

Is anyone familiar with the Honda Benly range?
I know a guy who claims to have a '73 100cc Benly.

I cant find info on anything post 60's?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Ash
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ash, Honda did bring back the Benly nane in the early to mid 70s so your friend is correct. From what i remember it was not a very popular model worldwide, although we did sell a few in our market area. Possibly it may have been a 100cc although i think its more like a 110cc engine
One colour we did get it in was a metallic lime gold, which was quite outstanding for its time.
I'll see if i can source a photo somewhere of this particular bike but it may be difficult.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The later Benly is a 100cc singloe cylinder engine, that was made to appear like a twin, like the early 125, 150, 250 and 305 Benly's, which were all twin cylinder engine'd. There may have also been early single cylinder Benly's, 65 and 90cc, not sure.

I am in full restore mode on a 1959 CA95 150cc rwin cylinder Benly right now, for a customer here in Yerington. This bike has 8459.7 original miles on it. The Benly's came in two colors, black, 95 percent of production and the much more rare white. This fellow's bike is an original black one.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ahh OK, eeenteresting

Made a typo before too, it actually is 110cc so your bang on there.

He also says its white and gold, with lashings of chrome - so harder to come across by the sounds?

If you can drag up a pic that would be great Allan, the bloke who owns it will be sending a pic of this one later so ill post it up.

Ash
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

After digging around the net i came across a guy who actually has a 1975 lime gold Benly in a listing, but there was no pic of the bike (darn) and i had work to do, so i had to stop looking.
If i cant find anything decent in a pic i'll get out the parts book and hopefully the profile pics there in the front cover will have to do till we can find a real bike photo.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

OK well I think this the lime green of which you speak :lol:

He's asking $350AU which sounds fair, runs well apparently.

I assume its fairly rare??
Cant find a pic let alone info on it!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

It's really just a bored-out S-90 with minor bodywork changes.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The late model one I saw was at the AHRMA races at Sandia Park, in 2005, in the bikes for sale section. It was a 110, and the head was made to look as if it had dual over head cams, but was actually a single cam engine, like the S90 pictured above. It had a mechanical front disk brake as well.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Yeah should be interesting anyway.
Looks to be an easy resto, chrome is very good.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Those little S series Hondas are fun, and there are hop up parts for them, as well as new engines from the aftermarket Chinese and Taiwanese bike makers that use that design.

There was a brand new 110 engine for sale in the swap meet section at the AHRMA race at Willow Springs last month, with electric starter (Taiwanese engine), sold for $50.00. I understand these engbines are a very faithful reproduction of the original Honda engines, save for the electric starter, and most Honda OEM engine parts will interchange no problem.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Well Ash you supplied a picture of what i couldnt find on the net anywhere.
A reasonably good looking example of the 110 Benly and in the colour i mentioned too,,,,,LOL.
These bikes are loads of fun, and once you can get the parts needed for a restore the 350Au isnt a bad price at all.
Can you imagine how outstanding that colour would have looked when new back in the early to mid 70s, compared to what else shades were available in small cc bikes.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Well its not really an S 90 engine since they were overhead cam and this engines a pushrod design. The official model designation is a S110 Benly, i may still have some bodyparts for this model namely those side covers i believe, so if you need stuff for it just let me know and i'll check the stock on hand.
These items will be all NOS so the condition is as good as it gets for your restoration.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Yeah im looking forward to it, still haven't finished the Stinger and im buying more bikes.... :!:

Yeah if you have parts I would be very keen, maybe send me a PM when you have a list?

Cheers.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

'74 Honda CB100 - Service manual?

Post by Admin »

Hey all

Does anyone happen to have a service manual for the CB100?

Any online manual sources you know of?

Thanks
Ash
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »