CB750

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Arne
To the on ramp

CB750

Post by Arne »

After being without a bike all summer (I only had large projects and ended up selling and buying houses instead of finishing my bikes) I picked up an easy project last Sunday for 400 bucks...

I was riding it a bit last night, feels good to have a runner again....

1954 Harley ST165 basket in the attic
1972 Suzuki GT750 project in the works
1981 Honda CB750-1000 driver
1982 Honda GL500 easy project
Zook-e
Smokin'

Post by Zook-e »

Looks nice. Never did like the busy carbs on those though.
"If you keep hitting your head against the wall you will eventually put a hole in the wall or your head"

1968 T500 Monoshock, 1972 GT750 Custom, 1973 GT750 Lemans

http://www.sundialmotosports.com
Wayne Meuir
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT750

Post by Wayne Meuir »

Looks nice and for the price, it would be hard to go wrong. I agree with Zook, the carbs are crap, but I think there are sets of smoothbores that will fit that bike and they are a much better carbs.

Wayne
Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Arne
To the on ramp

Post by Arne »

I've been through the carbs three times already trying to get #4 to idle correctly, I would get flatslides but they'd cost more than I paid for the bike : )

The price was right, and it has 'reportedly' only 10,000 original miles on it but somebody dropped it on its side breaking the original gage cluster and it sat for a long time before it got some 70's gauges, but it appears to be correct mileage from the general shape of things.
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Arne,
Mn has got to be the mecca of old used bikes at decent prices, from all I have seen you post on Sundial. All I normally find in this part of the country are either non-running by about 15 years, or way overpriced.

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
Arne
To the on ramp

Post by Arne »

jkevinlilly wrote:Arne,
Mn has got to be the mecca of old used bikes at decent prices, from all I have seen you post on Sundial. All I normally find in this part of the country are either non-running by about 15 years, or way overpriced.

Kevin
That's not the first time I've heard someone say that, from what I can gather it's because:

1) We have bad winters
2) The economy has been pretty good for a long time

What I think happens is a person spends 3 months inside due to the winters, gets outside on the first nice day of spring, sees a motorcyclist and thinks its the best thing ever, he's probably got a decent job or at least credit and goes out and buys a brand new yamahonduki, rides it for a couple months and maybe finds out that its not his thing or doesn't know how to maintain the bike over the winter, then when the next spring comes around and the battery is dead and the jump start yields plugged up carbs so it just sits there until he moves, he sells it, and the cycle cycle is repeated.

For the record this bike had 1996 tabs on it, so it has been 13 years since it ran and with the fall market here it may really have been only a 300 dollar bike but the guy selling it was selling it because he needed the money so I didn't want to haggle over 100 bucks. Also, it didn't have a title which scares some people off, but MN is pretty easy as long as the last guy never had the title and it hasn't been titled for about 10 years.

If I was selling motorcycles for a living I would buy a lot of them this fall, fix them up over the winter and about May 15 head up to North Dakota and sell them off a trailer at some big festival or something (Nodak's oil boom is leaving that state with a budget surplus and very low unemployment 4 percent or so now compared to MN at 8 percent or so.) I know more than a couple people that have left MN and gone northwest because they lost their job here. With the cool summer its supposed to be a cold winter as well.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Well, the 750F was one of the better CB750s. They handled better than most, and ran really well. Tough engine, too. You can certainly make a profit on it, but it might be a keeper.

It's hard to find decent older bikes down here, and I think it's because there are almost no barns in this part of the country, so forgotten bikes sit in the weather and rot.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........