Just for a change

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Just for a change

Post by Alan H »

I went out & bought a Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel yesterday.
Well, I was allowed to make the executive decision after making sure SWMBO was comfy on the back. :up:
Main reason for the new addition is that we (four couples worth of us) are going to the WW2 Normandy landings sites & museums next year, and I didn't fancy doing it on a 50 + year old bike and anyway, the last time I bought a new 'un was back in 1972. Pick it up in a couple of weeks when we get back from our next jaunt.....
Pics here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... hp?t=13919
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Just for a change

Post by jabcb »

Congrats on the purchase. On & off have been thinking about getting a new V85TT too.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

That looks a real treat. But you may have to get an 'air-seat' for 'er indoors.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, she said it fits, so it fits. No second chance.....
Too late anyhoo - the money's paid. :)
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Pick it up (or having it delivered - depending on the weather). I don't want to ride it home on brand new tyres in the snow...... :roll:
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Safely tucked up with three new friends. Hope they get on ok and Izzy doesn't start smoking.
Pics at the original link again.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

FINALLY!!! I've managed to get out on Izzy (reg suffix WSY!), and I must admit to being impressed. Still lots to learn - cruise control isn't as user friendly as the car, for instance) but managed a run out.

Good bits.... called at the garage & put 10 litres of E5star in and sodded off in manual mode. Stopped after a bit and worked out how to go from off road to strada mode and carried on without noticing any difference....

Brakes good compared to my 70s 2 strokes unsurprisingly and after a seemingly overwhelming amount of 'pressing' managed to get the cruise control to cruise most of the time.  I'm missing summat, but not sure what.

Performance is good - went from 1 mile odo to 30 miles odo before the chasing black clouds caught up and kept to below 4k rpm as it was 1st time out. Handling good, front brake needs tweaking to my preference, back brake good, seat comfy, rider position good (5ft 8 or 1.75m in new money), need slightly taller boots!! as tippy toes on stopping - or ride with panniers with summat in 'em, bar grip heaters excellent, but wind protectors might be improved with extenders. Need to learn more about screen displays and how to change on the fly.

Bad bits.... Well,  it's a strange beast unsurprisingly, compared to what I'm used to, but really I just need more miles to get experience. The standard front guard is piss poor and after only about 5 miles of rain the engine is well splashed, so the Capo mudguard + extender needs fitting smartish.

Note to myself.... ride it more and use thicker gloves (hands not too good!)

Surprising bits.... went in garage with 49 miles available, put 10 litres ish in and did 30 miles, but when I got home it says 214 miles left. Now my adding up is good but this doesn't 'compute' so I'll keep a record.

Overall? So far, money well spent, but I need to work on the controls. Mebbee a visit to the dealer 'might' help.....?!?!?!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, the new front 'guard works - extra large splash of running water across Shepcote Lane (A631) in Sheffield today. Must get a rear hugger (oo-er mother!!) to match and keep underneath the bike cleaner. How come modern bike's mudguards don't do what they should?
Anyway, 100 miles today on mixed roads and very enjoyable it was too!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

New rear 'hugger' fitted today - looks like half a mudguard and I daresay it will be acceptable to modern bikers - which I'm not.
Absolute pita job.
Started with 'remove the back wheel' a 26mm socket must be the only size up to about 42mm that I didn't have, but my mate did so I exchange a borrow of the socket for a ptpp. Lovely
Most bolts/studs are torx, but I bought a set on Sunday at Huddersfield Auto jumble, so that went fairly well, just that most of the original studs are a barsteward to get to. Anyway, it's fitted and the back wheel's back in.
I would like to meet the git who designed the way it goes in & out. Words would be spoken while I gently stroked his throat.
Anyway, that's summat else done, so must get some pics if it stops raining....
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

just in case anybody can't work it out, ptpp stands for percy turner's pork pie :) personally i'd sell my soul for a ptpp straight from the shop and still warm :)
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Had a couple today as it's Friday Pieday. Yum, chuffin' yum!!! 8)
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Due to several doses of snottyitis mixed in with all the crap weather we've had and a 2 week Caribbean cruise, I haven't been out on the V85 since I fitted a Caponord rally front 'guard and a 'proper' rear hugger to the bike. I also fitted a satnav mount - ebay item 304670759863 - which does the job well. 

Anyway, managed to get to Squires biker caff near Sherburn in Elmet for a coffee today, and as the sun was shining, I decided to 'nip' up to Scotch corner for a bacon sarnie. 160 mile round trip, so must be in the running for the most expensive pig sarnie I've ever had! Shows 55.1 mpg average so far and a nice comfy ride. I've sussed the cruise control out now (mostly) but keeping below 4500rpm/76mph is trying at times!

Engine seems to be bedding in well now it's got a few miles on (360!), but I need another 540 plus a service before we go to Normandy in May, and that's only 9 weeks away!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Other 'bits' fitted are a 'hugger' which is supposed to keep some of the crap from under the seat/swing arm area - not convinced about that yet...
Plus a satnav mount behind the screen. This has shown that the 'real' speedo is about 10% slow and an indicated clock reading of 76mph which equates to 4500rpm, is actually 70mph on the satnav. Not sure if there's a software update for this, but it'll get a mention at the service in a couple of weeks.
Had a couple more decent runs out with Lynn holding the back down - no difference to performance or fuel consumption as she's only tiny - but I have noticed that having the 'square' panniers on loses a couple of mpg. Why they don't do them a bit more aerodynamic isn't logical, and a mate with similar style panniers says the same about his beemer gs1250.
Anyway, 'nipped' through to Cleethorpes yesterday for a 160 mile chippy run and enjoyed a nice dinner. Went all back wacks route through Maltby, Tickhill, Bawtry, Gainsbro' etc. and came back M180/A1 way. 800 miles on now, so not much to do to get the 'end of running in' 900 up and get the service done so they can reset the engine speed warning lights during the service.
Engine running better and well impressed with handling, braking & general performance, plus average of nearly 60mpg
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Had the bike serviced last week with 909 miles on, & picked up last thursday. Nipped up the M1 & M62 to Squires for a pie & coffee & checked the clock next day - 1000 miles! Runs, handles & stops very well & I'm well impressed. I suppose I ought to clean it before we go to Caen on it in a week or three.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Another 1000 miles while doing the Normandy beaches in France & running well. A new jaunt next week - NW500 in Scotland. See other thread here - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15067