Isle of Man Classic TT races

Got a get together in your area or know of one? If so, post it here.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Isle of Man Classic TT races

Post by Alan H »

This weekend.
Black 550 with spannies and Blackish Kettle with spannies + a couple of other Kettles - based in Ramsey, and will be spending quite a bit of time in the pubs there I expect.
And Jurby, Ramsey Sprint, Douglas paddock - not at the same time of course.
Weather forecast is mediocre, but it doesn't rain in a pub, so we'll just have to struggle through I suppose.
Must visit the bike museum near the Fairy Bridge again. Bloody brilliant.

Any other visiting, and able to talk 2 stroke - see you there.
I'll try to post pics elsewhere and link back to here.

Anyone who can't make it. Wellllll, tough luck!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
vulcanman
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A 1976

Re: Isle of Man Classic TT races

Post by vulcanman »

Hi Alan ,i know its 5 years late but i was there too and mates Pete and Clutter .i have family near Foxdale so always stay there .we have done every Classic and MGP for 10 years up to 2019.i have also done most of TT since 1981 on a bike .for last 3 visits we have hired a van to get us 3 up from Sussex and return it to rental place in Morecombe same day then ride last 5 miles.due to bikes age and our age we struggle with the ride up now .its just about 320 miles to Heysham for us and not a ride you can ever say ,that was great wish we could do it again ! Just got my refund for tkt for 2021 .hoping for a go in 2022.nearer the time will have to arrange to meet up over there .
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Hopefully, that sounds like a plan. I'd like to do the classic at least once more.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Missing the Island badly.
I have never been to the Manx/Classic, but have been to the TT every year since 87 apart from 3, so I know my way around pretty well. Part of the appeal was always being able to take my sports bike (R1), and be able to use it as I pleased without restriction, but as you know, that really isn't the case anymore, and hasn't been so for some years. The unrestricted parts of the course have become less and less, and many disappeared altogether. The Mountain is a glorious ride on a quick bike, but I have done it a thousand times, and in recent years I've become disillusioned with riding 25 miles very slowly to Ramsey, to find the Mountain section yet again closed due to an over enthusiastic tourist flinging himself into the scenery after overstepping the limit of his ability. For the last 10 years, I have been flying the classic flag at the TT, as I have taken one of my T500s as well as the plastic missile, and I must admit to spending more time on the old stroker than the diesel. It's actually quite nice not having to do 150mph somewhere on your ride, and I really enjoy the admiration the bike draws from those who, "had one" when they were young, or their brother did, or a mate. In fact, the enjoyment of riding something so outstandingly different has become so great, that for the last 5 years, the R1 has stayed home, and I've been taking two classics, either both of my 500s, (they're very different), or a 500 and my Kettle cafe....A trip to the pits will involve chatting with many admirers, and if I had a quid for every picture taken.....Lets hope recovery goes to plan, and we'll all be back to the place we love to be for two weeks in 2022 ! https://flic.kr/p/nsruJs
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Same here expert racer.i avoid the mountain for all the same reasons you have mentioned.all the gear and no idea seems to be popular.at the TT i use smaller roads and prefer watching the riders who think they are racers .seen some very very sad incidents over the years most of which were caused by inability to ride within your limits almost taken out in 2019 near Foxdale by 3 German lads who thought be a good idea to overtake a bus on a very twisty small road .they ended up passing me and mate on wrong side in gutter.i still be going back but not on a sports bike .
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Eve Alan,Manx GP booked .got 7 days 24th Aug to 31st Aug.taking the 550a and mates XS650b .be great to meet up but plenty of time to sort that out.been a long 3 year wait!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, hopefully the issues we've had the last couple of years are less now, so again 'hopefully' I'll be there with the 550A 'Earwig' this year.
Whistle see.....
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Keep intouch nearer the time,maybe we can meet up at the Creek in Peel or somewhere suitable?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Yep. No plans yet, but some mates are going, so..........
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Getting excited.3 years away.last for me was TT 2019.this will be trip number 55.done almost every TT/Manx/Classic since 1980 + several as a kid in 60,s and 70,s
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Expert Racer,are you doing Manx ?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Who's expert racer?
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Has 2 posts on here above.are you going Alan?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Dunno yet. I've been told accommodation is sorted, but no confirmation, and I ain't sleeping in a tent! When I get a definite, I'll book a ferry, even if I miss the main races. The island is great without almost seeing bikes fly by at silly miles an hour, except at the gooseneck, of course.
GT550J with panniers if it happens + several others with Kettles going.
I went on the Earwig last time, so try something different!
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Keep me posted mate.be good if we could all meet up.i be on the 550a mate on 76 XS 650b