Another old newbie

Interesting stories of you and a Suzuki you have owned.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Another old newbie

Post by Alan H »

Hi there.
I bought my first Suzy - a M12 in 1968!
My second was a GT550J in 1772 as a 21st birthday present to myself - in the meantime I had numerous Hondas, Triumphs, BSAs, Ariels, Tritons, Francis Barnetts etc etc.

Cut to last year - I decided that it was about time I bought another 550 so I got an American import - a K this time - to refurb. So far so good.
Hmm, I need spares, why not buy another one and break it? Good idea, back to ebay.
Aha, there's two for the price of one! a J in boxes and an A with a set of spannies. I got those as well. Total for all 3 £1300.
Right, now the fun starts. I had to sneak them into the garage without SWMBO seeing them until I could work on an excuse why 3 bikes had suddenly 'appeared'.
Oops, she caught me unloading the van. Just looked, rolled her eyes and went in to make me a coffee. No wonder I love her so much.
So after a very cold winter and buying more bits, the rebuild of the K will start in the next few weeks after I get back from hols. Then the A, and then the J as they are all too good to break and I|'m a softy anyway. Should all be complete by August for my next birthday (not!)

While looking in the garage, I found my original owners' manual, a 55J catalogue/workshop manual and a generator cover that I had saved 'just in case' after I dropped the original J in October 1972. Also a parts list from when I had a quote for repairs after the accident - attached for the laugh! Check the prices and what they are now. Bare in mind that the price of the brand new bike was £610.
Anyway, here I am so if I can be of any help, or just to occasionally ask daft questions as my brain cell has stalled. I'm sure there will be plenty of the latter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
kettle kid
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380A GT750L GT750J Z900

Re: Another old newbie

Post by kettle kid »

welcome alan, Any pics, of any bikes? :up: