Sundial Moto Sports

Suzuki Two-Stroke Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New member from Florida.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm 
On the street

Bikes owned: GSXR750
Hello kids, I just signed up the other day and have been doing a little reading. Thought I'd introduce myself so excuse me while I ramble on about myself for a bit. :mrgreen:

I'm originally from Canada but I've been living Florida for about 17 years. I became an American citizen in '08.

I don't presently own a bike, but I've been a "bike" guy since I was a kid. My first bike was 74 CR250 in high school which i sold and bought an S3. That got sold and I bought a 650 Kawi and a 78 CR 125 (which was stolen from me.)

In 1980 I apprenticed at McBrides Cycle in Toronto and became a licensed bike mechanic. McBrides was a Honda/Suzuki dealer so i cut my teeth on what are now old Suzukis. I actually did tune ups and stuff on GTs and TSs, air cooled bikes with points and no plastic parts!

I worked at a bunch of shops around Toronto over the years, Yamaha Toronto, Canada Cycle Sports, Cycle world and I did a stint out in London at Hully Gully. Before I moved south, I was back in Toronto at Bent Bikes working for Johnny Bent. So I've worked on just about everything right up until 97 when I moved to Florida.

The odd part is in 1982 I started skydiving and became heavily involved in competition. I had no money for bikes so I never really owned another bike all that time except for a few insurance write offs that came into the shop that I picked up, fixed up and rode for a season then sold off. I had a CBR 1000, CBR 600, VFR 750, GSXR 750 ad a few others at various times, but no serious riding.

I've been in Florida working as a free fall photographer now since 97 and haven't really even ridden a bike in quite while.

While I was working at Bent Bikes I started accumulating parts for a bike I'd always wanted to build. I had a ZX750 frame, a set of upside down forks, a pair of wheels, a swing arm, and a bunch of other stuff all waiting for the key part, which I never aquired, a GT 750 motor. Then I met an American girl and sold all that stuff, got married and moved south.

So here I am. I never lost the desire to build that bike. Every few months I get lost on the web looking at parts and just reading stuff. I think it's getting serious this time, I actually signed up on your forum. I'll just hang around and listen, I'll try to keep my mouth shut since I've probably forgotten anything useful I might have known while I was a full time mechanic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:25 pm 
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Bikes owned: 1974 Suzuki GT750
There is a lot of knowledge and good advice on this board. I hope you can locate the parts you need and you are able to build the bike you always wanted.