1000 Katana forks, wheels, and brakes

Suzuki two-stroke bikes and parts, one man's treasure is another man's treasure!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

gmansyz
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Many GS's

1000 Katana forks, wheels, and brakes

Post by gmansyz »

Hiya all.
I got this stuff for sale and seems like the GT crowd likes them as an easy upgrade for their bikes so I post it here as well.
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/sh ... p?t=216296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 8)
Thanks
G
aslsmm
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 73 gt 750 74 gt550

Re: 1000 Katana forks, wheels, and brakes

Post by aslsmm »

while we apreciate the effort , we cannot view that page unless we are members. i dont really want to join a forum just to see one item for sale. can you post a full add on here? pics, price ect..
gmansyz
On the street

Post by gmansyz »

Hello Y'all
I do totally apologize for that. It worked when I posted it but now try some directly from my Photobucket thing.
I am asking $350 for all of it plus shipping. Or a fair offer or welcome someone coming to pick it up. I will include a top clamp, not pictured, so you can mount your tubular bars. The brake pads are some aftermarket, I think SBS and in good shape as well.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj55 ... aSusp1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj55 ... aSusp5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope these show up.
Thanks!
gmansyz
On the street

Post by gmansyz »

Okay, it worked.
Just a few more. And I can include a GSXR 750 swingarm too.
Thanks for looking and you can email me at : gmansyz@gmail.com
Thanks
Greg
gmansyz
On the street

Post by gmansyz »

Anyone interested???
Let me know if so.
Thanks
Greg
Cragdog
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550L, PE250B, RM250N

Post by Cragdog »

I just purchased a similar set for a very good price. :wink: Let me tell you, setting up that brake system with the anti-dive mechanism was a real pain! Four bleed nipples is no fun.. I'm curious to see how it works out though, sounds like most people just do away with it altogether.. :? I think the set I got came off a GS1150 or GSX1100, it had the different style mags. Good lot of parts there.
If you like it, then you should ride it.

1974 Suzuki GT550
1977 Suzuki PE250
1992 Suzuki RM250
1988 Yamaha YZ250
1970 Honda CB750 K0
gmansyz
On the street

Post by gmansyz »

They are good and I will use them if no one wants them.
Trouble is no one bothers to understand how the anti dive works. Hard to bleed? Funny. Try some of the newer GSXR stuff where air likes to hide in the caliper. I have not had trouble with all the nipples unless the master wasn't working right.
The GS1100E/ES had 4 position adjustable rebound. Only problem was that passage let the fluid bleed through and negated the anti dive. I use braided lines as well. Also, I add small shims under the plunger so no extra space to travel before it starts to operate.
If nothing else, I will put the forks with a single shock on the '81 GS1100/1290 I am building.
Thanks for looking all!
Greg
Cragdog
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550L, PE250B, RM250N

Post by Cragdog »

gmansyz wrote:They are good and I will use them if no one wants them.
Trouble is no one bothers to understand how the anti dive works. Hard to bleed? Funny. Try some of the newer GSXR stuff where air likes to hide in the caliper. I have not had trouble with all the nipples unless the master wasn't working right.
The GS1100E/ES had 4 position adjustable rebound. Only problem was that passage let the fluid bleed through and negated the anti dive. I use braided lines as well. Also, I add small shims under the plunger so no extra space to travel before it starts to operate.
If nothing else, I will put the forks with a single shock on the '81 GS1100/1290 I am building.
Thanks for looking all!
Greg
This will be my first experience with the anti-dive forks. When I took them off some nasty black fluid came out where they bolt to the forks.. I hope to get them set up to be working properly, I've had some difficulty finding a good maintainance procedure for them. I guess I'm mostly confused if they interact with the fork oil as well as the brake fluid? Would you care to explain the added shims in a bit more detail?
Thanks,
If you like it, then you should ride it.

1974 Suzuki GT550
1977 Suzuki PE250
1992 Suzuki RM250
1988 Yamaha YZ250
1970 Honda CB750 K0
gmansyz
On the street

Post by gmansyz »

Okay, let us see. The black oil is you fork oil and yes, should be replaced!
Also, you should shorten the fork springs as it is not a dirt bike and you don't need 6 1/2" of travel. You cut off the near coil bound end. Depending on the weight of the bike, you would want 0.95KG/mm to 1.0KG/mm. Though you could go softer. Invest in some RaceTech cartridge emulators as well. PVC works well under the damper rods and as spring spacers. You would also add a little more than what the factory says as this helps slow the diving down too as it changes the compression ratio.
The anti dive units are two pieces. The lower, which bolts to the fork lower is the valve that restricts the oil and blows off/ lets oil flow when you hit a bump as well. Also, the fork oil flows through it when not on the brakes. The upper part, which bolts to the lower valve assembly, contains the brake fluid and the plunger. You would then add a small shim/washer to the end of the plunger. I will get you dimensions as well. And use some clear hose to hold the shim in place.
Does this help?
Laters
G
gmansyz
On the street

Post by gmansyz »

Anyone?
I am still trying to get the shim thickness and diameter.
Tnx
G
gmansyz
On the street

Post by gmansyz »

Okay, I checked. The shim to be .200" diameter. Thickness? Turns out the '82 does not need the shim. On my '83, so long ago, did and I believe it was about .040" thick. Same diameter. If that helps at all.
And since there is not interest in the goodies, I may as well just use them.
Thanks again. :D
Greg
gmansyz
On the street

Post by gmansyz »

Hiya All!
I sold the forks and front calipers.
I still have the wheels and brake rotors for sale.
Anyone still interested???
Email me: gmansyz@gmail.com
Tnx
Greg
GTrida4life
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 73 GT750, 75 GT750, HD Road Glide

Post by GTrida4life »

I have the same set-up available for purchase from a GS750 if anyone is interested hit me up. No success with posting pics....