1972 Suzuki GT750 Cylinder Block or Complete Engine Wanted

Suzuki two-stroke bikes and parts, one man's treasure is another man's treasure!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

joandon@telus.net
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1972 GT750J

1972 Suzuki GT750 Cylinder Block or Complete Engine Wanted

Post by joandon@telus.net »

Needed to split the engine for maintenance after all these years.
It took weeks to accomplish and had to resort to sawing the case as it was badly corroded.
Anyone out there looking to sell one (preferably from Canada), get in touch...
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: 1972 Suzuki GT750 Cylinder Block or Complete Engine Wanted

Post by Alan H »

Always nice to do a quick intro as a first post. Just who you are, bit of biking experience and which general area you inhabit.
You're much more likely to get help and replies then.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
joandon@telus.net
Still in the Driveway

I am new to this forum and I was reminded that I should have included a bit of information about myself as an introduction.

I've been riding since 1966, off and on. This is my 4th bike, which I've owned since 1976 but it has been sitting in the garage for 22 years.
I've done all my own maintenance until last year. Spent several months in the spring of 2020 (a COVID-19 project) fixing, painting, lubricating and polishing to get it road ready but it would not start after all that work (a sheared crankshaft woodruff key and shattered starter clutch bearings).
It had never been in the shop but I had to enlist the help of a bike mechanic working out of his own home to split the badly corroded engine case.

I live in sunny Vancouver, British Columbia where it is possible to ride all year long weather wise and used to when I first moved here in 1979.
Now that I am retired, I am hoping to restore this antique and put collector plates on it so that I may ride it for a few more years until I become too old to ride.

I am attaching a picture that I took after the paint job (had to paint at least the gas tank since it was baked in a high heat oven because it was badly corroded inside) so did the rest as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Welcom to the madhouse.
Nice looking bike - most of us feel your pain with the resto - these old girls can be very 'trying' at times.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Willie
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1100E, GS1100G

Post by Willie »

Great to see a new member. Like yourself, I'm in the midst of resurrecting a GT750 that I've owned since '79. Similar to your situation, the pistons in mine rusted in the bores from having set too long. Fearing that I may not be able to remove the block without causing damage, I jumped on a complete GT750 motor that I saw for sale. A week after I bought it, I was able to remove my block without a problem. Thus, I don't need the extra motor. Although it might be too much hassle to pursue, PM me if you'd like to buy it. Either way, I wish you the best of luck with your project.
I've been everywhere from Bangor all the way to mighty Maine!
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

nice looking bike. And an early 72, which is even more rare. I cannot imagine the cost of shipping a complete motor, but shipping barrels shouldn't be too bad.

I think I still have one set of early 72 barrels in stock here. What else do you need?
joandon@telus.net
Still in the Driveway

Thanks to all who posted or contacted me.
I now have the cylinder block that I required and the project continues...