Transmission oil leak

Suzuki two-stroke bikes and parts, one man's treasure is another man's treasure!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Marcos
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt 750

Transmission oil leak

Post by Marcos »

Hi I have an oil leak from the right side of the bike, oil is coming out from the only hole that dont have any screw it looks it would be a vent, want to know reasin for leaking and can I stop the leak
Its a GT 750 1975 thanks for your help
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Re: Transmission oil leak

Post by Madbuffalo »

Welcome to the forum. A bit more specific as to the location could be helpful. If vent hole between kick starter and oil pump cover then that leads to the transmission breather vent and the 2 common causes are either oil overfilled or bad crank seal pressurizing the transmission. Report back with the location though and we'll try to help more.

Josh
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Marcos
Still in the Driveway

Post by Marcos »

Madbuffalo wrote:Welcome to the forum. A bit more specific as to the location could be helpful. If vent hole between kick starter and oil pump cover then that leads to the transmission breather vent and the 2 common causes are either oil overfilled or bad crank seal pressurizing the transmission. Report back with the location though and we'll try to help more.

Josh
Hi Josh
Thks for your answer the vent is right in straight line upward the kickstart, hope this give you a more precise location of the vent hole, I guess is the transmission vent I took out the screww to measure oil level and didnt come out any oil, and I see the oil coming out from the hole vent not from the seal, any idea¿
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by Madbuffalo »

Ok, that's the vent hole I was guessing. First, what color is the oil, as in does it match your injector oil or transmission oil? If oil continues to dribble out even after parked that could indicate an injector oil leak somewhere on the pump (easy fix).

If transmission oil it would be only coming out immediately after a hard ride, at least in mine's case. If the color matches transmission oil do an oil change with the correct amount. I run thick 20w50 which seems to clot the check screw passage sometimes so best to put the right amount in and be sure. If after that transmission oil still weeps out then unfortunately you've likely got a bad crank seal pressurizing the transmission.

2nd or 3rd brown seal from left wears out causing crankcase compression to enter the transmission:

Transmission vent "chimney" pictured just in front of the oil pump.
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Marcos
Still in the Driveway

Post by Marcos »

Thks Josh I will try and follow your recommendations
Brgds