California 2 stroke registration

Suzuki two-stroke bikes and parts, one man's treasure is another man's treasure!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

rocc99
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 T350, 98 Bandit S

California 2 stroke registration

Post by rocc99 »

Does anyone have info on whether it's possible to register a 2 stroke street bike in CA? I've been searching everywhere and can't find anything definitive. I know there is a ban, but I would think there are exemptions for older bikes. The bike is a 1972 Suzuki T350 with original VIN and matching PA title.

Also, as I've mentioned before, we're once again in the process of moving and I need to sell the bike...new place doesn't have a garage. I've put a ton of time and money into it, so I've been reluctant to let it go for cheap, but don't have many options at this point. I've got it priced for $3k locally...thinking about putting it up on ebay with local pick up only. Anyone have experience selling a bike on ebay? If so, any luck with the local pick up option, or did you ship it? If shipped, how difficult was that?

Thanks for any and all input!!!
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Re: California 2 stroke registration

Post by Evans Ward »

I can help you with your second question having sold a bike (1967 Yamaha YR1 350 Grand Prix) on eBay a couple of months ago. I preferred and chose to use a buy it now price with an option for offers. I wound up getting the full BIN price for the bike. I stated local pick up only but wrote in my description that I would be available to work with a shipper of the buyers choice. I only had to roll the bike out to the truck and assist the driver strapping the bike down. I was fortunate that my bike went to a state that did not need a title as I did not have one- BOS was sufficient along with copy of current registration and insurance. You having a title for yours is a big plus. Take really good pictures and explain alll work done on it. The other eBay option is auction format but I don’t use those. I also sold a car last year on eBay- both deals went smoothly.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Sell it as a 'Classified ad' on ebay. It costs much less (in the UK it's £15) fixed fee and you put your price on, but can also put 'best offer'. I've used it a couple of times and have a GSX1400 on at the moment. Regards delivery or not, mine is pick up only, but the 'can work with a shipper' option sounds good. Just make sure you get the money before shipping - cash is best as paypal fees are dire!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
rocc99
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 T350, 98 Bandit S

Post by rocc99 »

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to check into my options on ebay...sounds like it's easy enough. Also, just realized that this was posted to the wrong board on the forum. Moderators, any way to change this to general? Also, just circling back on the CA registration...anyone have some info out there? Thanks again.
datsunrides
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by datsunrides »

I have a couple old strokers registered in CA. The last 2 stroke streetbike legal here was the 85' RZ350, but I am not aware of any ban on older bikes as they were legal at the time. There is something about offroad 2 strokes and green stickers, but since I don't ride offroad anymore, does not affect me.