Crate full of parts need shipping to Australia

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ChrisK
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 race, GSXR400 race

Crate full of parts need shipping to Australia

Post by ChrisK »

Hi guys

My 6 months here in the US has been productive in that I have found myself enough bits and pieces to build up a TR500 replica. (see seperate thread) Unfortunately I must return home to Australia in January and I need to freight said bits and pieces home. Talk about a can of worms! I am boxing them up in a wooden crate approx 4ft x 3ft x 2ft and weighing I am guessing around 450lb, so obviously sea freight is the go.

This is where I have stumbled in regards to who I get to handle it. I naively thought I would just google up a freight company and off we go. However there are warnings all over the net about freight company scams and how you can end up being held to ransom for exorbitant amounts of dollars before you can get your stuff. Most saying the companies offering the cheapest prices are the worst.

So, has anyone got any recommendations for a reputable company, based on their own experience.

Any leads gratefully accepted as I am fast running out of time!
Chris
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: Crate full of parts need shipping to Australia

Post by titan performance »

Hi Chris.....we send lots of stuff all over the globe, and we use the same shipping broker every time. If I put in the stats of your parcel and ask for a quote to Oz, ie. Freemantle (is that right?), I get a price of under £100 GBP, but the quote is from Southampton as we are UK based. We have in the past had things collected abroad and sent to us, so they may be able to help you.....I guess you need to call somebody. They use all major carriers, ie. UPS, TNT etc, so no worries about underhandedness....here's the link, good luck. https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/sea-freight/quote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

titan performance wrote:Hi Chris.....we send lots of stuff all over the globe, and we use the same shipping broker every time. If I put in the stats of your parcel and ask for a quote to Oz, ie. Freemantle (is that right?), I get a price of under £100 GBP, but the quote is from Southampton as we are UK based. We have in the past had things collected abroad and sent to us, so they may be able to help you.....I guess you need to call somebody. They use all major carriers, ie. UPS, TNT etc, so no worries about underhandedness....here's the link, good luck. https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/sea-freight/quote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks so much! Will be right onto them today.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Any joy chris?
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

titan performance wrote:Any joy chris?
Well, yes and yes! Spoke to them and they can indeed help out but I also have another angle on the go at the moment, an Aussie guy in Indianapolis who exports classic cars to Oz says he can help me out with including it in one of his consignments, so I'm just comparing pricing and logistics at the moment.
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

ChrisK wrote:
titan performance wrote:Any joy chris?
Well, yes and yes! Spoke to them and they can indeed help out but I also have another angle on the go at the moment, an Aussie guy in Indianapolis who exports classic cars to Oz says he can help me out with including it in one of his consignments, so I'm just comparing pricing and logistics at the moment.
And this is indeed the option I went with, not so much about the price, just the convenience of having someone else take care of all the logistical details for me. Basically he said, send me the crate and I take care of everything else. Given that I fly out of the US at the beginning of January, this aspect was important.
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Excellent that you found someone to handle the issues of shipping. In the past, I have dealt with shipping to another country, and the biggest hassle is having an agent on the receiving end, to deal with Customs and transit from the receiving port to the final destination. Having someone who already has this in place is a Godsend, and takes a lot of stress out of the issue.

Sorry that you are shipping out so soon. I take a ride up to Burlington a few times each summer, to spend time with friends and hang out on the lake. Would of been nice to meet up.

Have a good trip home, and happy holidays!
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

ConnerVT wrote:Excellent that you found someone to handle the issues of shipping. In the past, I have dealt with shipping to another country, and the biggest hassle is having an agent on the receiving end, to deal with Customs and transit from the receiving port to the final destination. Having someone who already has this in place is a Godsend, and takes a lot of stress out of the issue.

Sorry that you are shipping out so soon. I take a ride up to Burlington a few times each summer, to spend time with friends and hang out on the lake. Would of been nice to meet up.

Have a good trip home, and happy holidays!
Thanks Conner, nothing to say we won't be back here at some stage :) I'm not quite so keen on this winter business, but it would be nice to think we could come back in the summer or fall again. We have made some good friends in the few months we have been here so we will certainly be keeping an eye out for cheap flights and we know we have access to accommodation. I will certainly put a post up if this happens, who knows, these old Suzuki's weave all sorts of magic! The priority now is to get back home and earn some money to top the piggy bank back up and the wife has her studies to finish but when she graduates that may be a ticket back to the US as I believe her quals are in fairly high demand.
cannahan
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by cannahan »

Hello, I have been searching around the web for guide on which carrier to use, my cargo isnt as heavy, roughly 70lb to australia and I came about to find this post, buddy (who will pick it up there) offered parcelabc, but I‘m not so sure their fares seem a bit highish, Chris if you're still there or anyone else if you have other suggestions, I‘d wish to hear them, really ain't want to overpay. Thank you very much.